Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i just installed RH9. my motherboard ethernet card wouldnt work. but Linksys did. but now i cant browse pages, the update wont work either. (dont know if same reason) i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cant browse internet, but can ping

i just installed RH9. my motherboard ethernet card wouldnt work. but Linksys did.

but now i cant browse pages, the update wont work either. (dont know if same reason)

i can ping IPs just fine. but say when i open mozilla i have to use a proxy to browse. if i choose Use Direct internet Connection, i get "cant find the page"

is it DNS thing that i have to get from my ISP? (they gave me nothing but username/password).

if you could help

thank you.

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, sounds like you need a DNS. Ask your ISP what the IP is, and when you get it, put it in /etc/resolv.conf.

Just Joined!
    k thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    well that didnt work out. my ISP told me they obtain the dns automatically. no idea what that means. but what do i do? =D.

i am on that rh9 right now. just using a proxy. which is pretty slow

Linux Newbie
    I don't know what that means -- but it sounds like maybe they were just trying to get rid of you. It's their responsiblity to hook you up with a DNS, and they have to give you some sort of way to resolve IPs from domain names. But sometimes you have to bug ISPs pretty hard to get them to do what you need. Try bugging them harder, and don't give up until they've given you a thorough explanation of what's going on, you understand it, and you have a DNS.

Just Joined!
    well you see they dont support linux. so anytime i mention that that's pretty much it.

what exactly do i ask for? Primary and Secondary DNS addresses. or something more?

thank you

Linux User
    I think that what your ISP is telling you that you are using DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) to get your IP Address and DNS Address'. Meaning that when you logon, in theory, they will issue you all the info needed to browse the internet. Is your computer setup to accept DHCP? In the gui (gnome or kde) just go to system tools network config (or something like that) and make sure that you new (linksys) card is setup for DHCP. And you might want to make sure that the old card is disabled.

To see if you are actually getting a valid IP Address run the command

/sbin/ifconfig

At the top of the output you will see inet addr:andsomenumbers. Bcast should look just like your ip address but ending with 255 and mask is typically 255.255.255.0.

Also to see what DNS servers you are running type

Cat /etc/resolv.conf

The output will list your DHCP configured DNS servers.

Linux Newbie
    Ooh yeah, I hate when they do that. Damn GNUophobes.

But you should still be able to get primary and secondary DNS addresses without mentioning that you have Linux. And if not, find out how they would instruct a Windows user to get domain name services, and then maybe we can figure out how to copy that process in Linux.

If you can't even get them to tell you that, then I'm stumped, but maybe someone else can help.

Linux User
    dan@george gives a good suggestion. I assume that you are booted up in Windows right now, if so open up a dos prompt (cmd in the start/run box) and type

ipconfig /all

The output will list all the info that windows is using to connect.

Just and go ahead and put one or 2 of thease(ROOT DNS SERVERS) in your /etc/resolv.conf
    it should do it
    • nameserver 198.41.0.4
      nameserver 192.228.79.201
      nameserver 192.33.4.12
      nameserver 128.8.10.90

also what is your connection type...is dsl or cable or 56k modem? so that we can set up your connx so that they dont get whiped out! ISP's dns servers can be realy bad...sometimes useless
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast