Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am for the first time setting up a web server and an FTP server using Redhat 9.0. I have my static IP from Roadrunner. I have a domain name ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Name servers and my general ignorance

I am for the first time setting up a web server and an FTP server using Redhat 9.0.

I have my static IP from Roadrunner. I have a domain name bemont.net from Godaddy, and it is parked. vsFTPd and Apache seem to be working.

But now I am totally confused by the steps to bring the IP and domain name together:

1) Godaddy asks for the names of two Name servers, and I do not know what these are or where to get them. In answer to my questions, Godaddy gives an example of "nameserver1.godaddy.com" but where do I get this from? Do I just make it up -- like webserver.bemont.net?

2) And the fact that they want two... each with an IP address. I only have one IP address, should that be the same for both of the two Name servers?

3) I also do not know what to fill in under Network Device Control-->Network Configuration-->DNS tab-->Host name. Should this match the above Name server? Or is this something completely different? (And, if it is the same, how is it that I am supposed to have TWO Name servers?)

4) Finally, at the bottom of the same screen as Host name, there is a place for DNS Search path. Where do I go for this info?

Thanks in advance for you patience. I assume these must be pretty basic things I am not understanding, but I am really trying to learn.

Just Joined!
    to answer ALL your questions all in one shot; call your ISP. it is their position to point people to your server by that name, from their name servers 1 and 2. all will fall into place if warner is worth a fart and cares to provide their static ip customers with at least this level of support. i just went through exactly the same thing; rh9 / apache / godaddy parking, etc. what's your average up load expected to be?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunix
    to answer ALL your questions all in one shot; call your ISP. it is their position to point people to your server by that name, from their name servers 1 and 2. all will fall into place if warner is worth a fart and cares to provide their static ip customers with at least this level of support. i just went through exactly the same thing; rh9 / apache / godaddy parking, etc. what's your average up load expected to be?
    Thanks for the advice -- I have been talking to Roadrunner techs ever since. They admit it is their problem, but have yet to get it fixed.

It is going to be three small websites, using virtual hosting (if I can get that going). The heaviest load is that every couple days maybe 25 people will be downloading some 10MB files from one of the sites. Other than that, it will mostly be just viewing small html files with some jpg files.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close