Find the answer to your Linux question:
Heya peeps. Here's the deal. I'm going to port to Linux on a PC I'm getting next september to replace my crappy Windows based HP laptop -wait this actually isn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remote Management

Heya peeps.

Here's the deal. I'm going to port to Linux on a PC I'm getting next september to replace my crappy Windows based HP laptop -wait this actually isn't really relevant...(I think)

What is relevant is that in the meantime I'm almost done building a small server PC that I'm going to leave at my folks house to suck up all that extra bandwidth they don't use. I'll be running Linux on it, of course.

Now here's the deal, I'm fairly secure about how to set up an apache server and FTP and all that stuff (and if worst comes to worst, I'll just post here), however I'd like to know more about remote management solutions under linux.

Of course I know I can connect to my linux box under console mode, however being a long time windows victim (*sobs*) and liking flashy colours, what would really rock my boat is to be able to connect to my PC from another PC, and view the desktop and such.

I'm sure there's something like VNC for windows, but what exactly? And how safe/flexible is it? Can I easily configure such a thing to be set as a system service?

For extra info I'll probably be putting mandrake or fedora on this box, ditto for the new one I'll be getting in september (don't ask me why. They both seem like noob-friendly suitable and stable distros)

Linux Newbie
    What's wrong with VNC for Linux?

Just Joined!
    Nothing. Actually I didn't know there was VNC for linux until you said so, which partially answers my question. ^-^

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: Remote Management

Quote Originally Posted by Plato
    Of course I know I can connect to my linux box under console mode, however being a long time windows victim (*sobs*) and liking flashy colours, what would really rock my boat is to be able to connect to my PC from another PC, and view the desktop and such.

I'm sure there's something like VNC for windows, but what exactly? And how safe/flexible is it? Can I easily configure such a thing to be set as a system service?
    I came in contact with VNC for windows _after_ I tried it on linux, so yes there is VNC for linux, unfortainly I don't remember how to set it up - though there probably is some good tutorial here or in the results from google. I stopped using VNC due to that I really didn't need a GUI, I use ssh now - it's text only but works (more than) well for my current needs of remote administration.

IIRC it was pretty easy setting up, thought, I don't know how secure my install was, but I think it was acceptable (read: unless you're specifically targetted you're pretty safe). I think it was quite flexible, considering that you can have (more or less) full keyboard and mouse interaction via the vnc client/viewer (the client can be what ever OS), and as for safetyp, I think it's high enought for most users.
    Though, one thing to point out about VNS is that it's not something to use to play games via - the fps sucks (but it's quite entertaing the first five minutes )
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!

Re: Remote Management

Quote Originally Posted by Plato
    Heya peeps.

Here's the deal. I'm going to port to Linux on a PC I'm getting next september to replace my crappy Windows based HP laptop -wait this actually isn't really relevant...(I think)

What is relevant is that in the meantime I'm almost done building a small server PC that I'm going to leave at my folks house to suck up all that extra bandwidth they don't use. I'll be running Linux on it, of course.

Now here's the deal, I'm fairly secure about how to set up an apache server and FTP and all that stuff (and if worst comes to worst, I'll just post here), however I'd like to know more about remote management solutions under linux.

For extra info I'll probably be putting mandrake or fedora on this box, ditto for the new one I'll be getting in september (don't ask me why. They both seem like noob-friendly suitable and stable distros)
    Here's what works for me:

just ssh -X user@192.168.1.1 (or whatever the ip address is)

Some dont realize ssh can foward XWindow stuff just fine. All you need on your pc is cygwin (if your running windows) or another Linux/Unix box with ssh installed. And your remote system needs to run the sshd daemon which takes up very little memory and resources when inactive.

If your remote system is sitting behind a NAT router you will need to open up port 22 on the router iirc... And if running IPTables on the system you will need to configure the firewall accordingly.. redhat-config-security-level (if running red-hat) is a gui front end for iptables, however very basic as it only allows you to open up well known ports like http, ftp, telnet, ssh but this works for most people. And btw never use telnet or ftp, use ssh as its secure... And once you have ssh port open you can use sftp as well, they both use the same tcp port.

Hope that helps,
    Kauai