Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Okay, I currently have exactly the same problem. For the time being, my solution has been avoidance: instead of using NTLDR as my primary boot manager, I'm using Grub, since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    dt2
    Just Joined!

Okay, I currently have exactly the same problem. For the time being, my solution has been avoidance: instead of using NTLDR as my primary boot manager, I'm using Grub, since that's already set up to work correctly. (More specifically, I went into the BIOS and changed the boot sequence to be floppy->CD->physical hard disk with Linux on it. That hard disk boots with Grub. If I change the boot sequence in the BIOS to floppy->CD->physical hard disk with WinXP on it, then I get NTLDR with its two options, and like you the Linux option doesn't work -- it only gives me that damn blinky cursor.)

So how to fix it? I agree with you that the likely cause is the hdb3 question, since all of your other commands seem to be correct. (Note: I used the following commands, but I strongly believe that there's no effective difference

Code:
    mount -t ms-dos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    dd if=/dev/mydevicehere of=/mnt/floppy/bootsect.lin bs=512 count=1
    But in my case I can't even find a /boot partition, so I don't even know for sure that I'm doing that right. I put "hde1" in place of "mydevicehere", above, because that's my root partition -- but clearly that didn't work. If I could only figure out where /boot is, that would be great. But "df" doesn't give it to me.

So I'm at least as lost as you are...sorry!

Just Joined!
    i guess i'll do what you did. only i got lilo.

i posted on a different forum. i'll post here if that works out. hopefully it'll work out here =D

dt2
    Just Joined!
    Yeah, please do that...I'd love to hear a solution if you can figure one out.

Good luck!

Just Joined!
    k i got it working. it was the hdb3 thing.

i did dd if=/dev/hdb1 etc.

works fine now.

i found my boot thing by

type mount

that gave me bunch of stuff with one line being "/dev/hdb1 on /boot type"

or

grep boot= /etc/lilo.conf

that gave me

boot=/dev/hdb1

sorry if that's no help in your situation

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dt2
    Yeah, please do that...I'd love to hear a solution if you can figure one out.

Good luck!
    have you looked into some of the more commercial solutions to your problem, there are several very nice and not too expensive multi-boot packages that i think you would like

check out system commander

http://www.v-com.com

- perry

dt2
    Just Joined!
    I appreciate that, but I can actually get it to dual boot fine with grub. I'm more curious as to how I would get it to work with NTLDR. That is, my problem is not so urgent that I want to throw money at it. I'd just like to learn for the sake of learning why the dd method isn't working. I assume it must be because I'm not using dd correctly, which implies that I don't know where my boot partition is (which is true). I'm at work again, so I'll have to try some more tweaks when (if?) I get home.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Just Joined!
    "mount" and "grep boot= /etc/lilo.conf" things didnt help?

=D prey and perry are not the same person +D

dt2
    Just Joined!
    [Edited; see end]

Here's what I get when I type "mount":

Code:
    /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on / type ext3 (rw)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
    none on /dev type devfs (rw)
    none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620)
    /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part7 on /home type ext3 (rw)
    none on /mnt/cdrom type supermount (ro,dev=/dev/hdg,fs=udf:iso9660,--,iocharset=iso8859-1)
    none on /mnt/floppy type supermount (rw,sync,dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850)
    /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /mnt/win_c2 type ntfs (ro,umask=0,nls=iso8859-1)
    /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part5 on /mnt/win_d type ntfs (ro,umask=0,nls=iso8859-1)
    /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part6 on /mnt/win_e type vfat (rw,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850)
    /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part7 on /mnt/win_f type ntfs (ro,umask=0,nls=iso8859-1)
    /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part8 on /mnt/win_g type ntfs (ro,umask=0,nls=iso8859-1)
    /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part9 on /mnt/win_h type vfat (rw,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850)
    /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part10 on /mnt/win_i type ntfs (ro,umask=0,nls=iso8859-1)
    /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part6 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
    And here is "ls /etc/*.conf":

Code:
    /etc/devfsd.conf   /etc/ld.so.conf      /etc/mtools.conf    /etc/scrollkeeper.conf
    /etc/esd.conf      /etc/lftp.conf       /etc/nsswitch.conf  /etc/sysctl.conf
    /etc/fam.conf      /etc/libuser.conf    /etc/pbm2ppa.conf   /etc/syslog.conf
    /etc/gre.conf      /etc/logrotate.conf  /etc/pentaxpj.conf  /etc/updatedb.conf
    /etc/host.conf     /etc/ltrace.conf     /etc/pnm2ppa.conf   /etc/xinetd.conf
    /etc/initlog.conf  /etc/modprobe.conf   /etc/pwdb.conf
    /etc/krb5.conf     /etc/modules.conf    /etc/resolv.conf
    Any thoughts? I'd love a suggestion re: where to go from here!

EDIT: Well kiss an ashtray and call me stupid! I found it...here I was looking for grub.conf, when I totally forgot that I'd seen a similar problem in another thread and someone mentioned menu.lst. Anyhow, I found /boot/grub/menu.lst, and have been playing with that. I'll let you know how it goes. Still not entirely sure about how to use dd with all this, but we'll see. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2