Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hello, i've two harddrives one with WinXP second with RH9. somebody told me not to install Lilo on the master boot. cause winxp wont like it. i tried setting the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dual boot

hello,

i've two harddrives one with WinXP second with RH9.

somebody told me not to install Lilo on the master boot. cause winxp wont like it.
    i tried setting the order of harddrives to boot in the BIOS.
    that way i see two selections Redhat and DOS. if i click on DOS. i see some text and LI and nothing's happening.

i'm tired of using the floppy to boot to linux and i think that prevents me from changing the resolution. 800x600 is really annoying. but i want to be able to boot to windows too. that's where my precious games are =D

thank you.

dt2
    Just Joined!
    There are two ways to do it:

(1) Use WinXP's boot manager (NTLDR), and show it where to find Linux. This method involves leaving the MBR alone (keeps Windows happy) and installing the Linux boot manager in the Linux partition instead.
    (2) Use GRUB/LILO as your boot manager, and show it where to find Windows. This method involves overwriting the MBR, but then you get to use the Linux boot manager (instead of the evil NTLDR, ).

I've collected links with detailed step-by-step walkthroughs for both methods on my website: http://www.geocities.com/dt2pc/linux.htm

Please let us know if you have any other questions that we can help with or if you need clarification of the above.

(N.B. This webpage of mine is still a work in progress, but the links it provides are good-to-go.)

Just Joined!
    k. but i cant seem to find where my root partition is.

when they use the dd command. my infile isnt there=D so an empty file is generated.

how do i find where my boot record thing is? there's a lot of hda1.....5 in /dev/

Linux User
    Code:
    $ cat /etc/fstab
    This will show what and where is mounted on boot.
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    it says /boot

but how would i make it word with the dd command?
    it says
    /boot is a directory. and i dont know which file to copy

dt2
    Just Joined!
    Actually, I've got a related problem. When I installed Mandrake, I chose the option to install grub in the root partition. But now I'd like to customize grub (i.e. change the order of the elements in the list) and I can't find grub.conf! For that matter, when I look in /etc/fstab, I don't even see anything with "/boot" anywhere.

Could another file have taken the place of grub.conf? Or am I just searching through the wrong directories? I even used the "find files" thing off the main menu and couldn't find anything named grub.conf.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    i got that /dev/hdb3 into bootsect.lin

but i dont have boot.ini anywhere. i searched for it. only found boot.ini.backup

do i need to create it? where do i put it if i do

thank you

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by prey
    i got that /dev/hdb3 into bootsect.lin

but i dont have boot.ini anywhere. i searched for it. only found boot.ini.backup which i think is for photoshop =D

do i need to create it? where do i put it if i do

thank you

dt2
    Just Joined!
    C:\boot.ini is a system file. It's hidden, because Windows doesn't want to to see (read: mess with) it.

To make it visible, from a My Computer window, go to Tools, Folder Options, View tab. Uncheck the box that says (something like) "Hide important system files so I can't see them and screw with them (Recommended)".

Try that and then you should be able to see boot.ini (and other hidden files and such) just fine.

Just Joined!
    k found boot.inii but is hdb3 the right one?

i tried

dd if=/dev/hdb3 of=/usr/etc/bootsect.lin bs=512 count=1

and it generated a record.

> mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
    >cp /usr/etc/bootsect.lin /mnt/floppy

so the file was on the floppy.

i booted windows and put the file in C:\boot

then i opened C:\boot.ini and added the line
    Code:
    C:\boot\bootsect.lin="Red Hat 9 Linux"
    when i restart i get the NTLDR screen. but when i select Red Hat 9 Linux. it doesnt load. i just see a little blinking thing in top left corner that's it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast