Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Alot of distobutions have commands where you can setup your X server in order to view your GUI mode, or desktop mode (with the mouse cursor, icons, GUI's).... I'd suggest ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Alot of distobutions have commands where you can setup your X server in order to view your GUI mode, or desktop mode (with the mouse cursor, icons, GUI's).... I'd suggest seeing if you have a program called:

xf86config

To see if you have this... the easiest way is to start typing out the name, then press Tab button twice... and it will list all programs/scripts that start with what you typed: example:

type: x and then Tab button --> this will list all programs that start with x
    type: xf86 and then Tab button --> this will liast all programs that start with xf86

Also... what you should know... if you are looking for any configuration files... most likely they will be in the /etc directory, or perhaps in your /home/usrname/.somthing/ directory.

If you are looking for your XF86Config file... it could possibly be in /etc/X11/ directory.

If you want the configuration file which selects what window manager or desktop you would like to use (xinitrc for me) ... it could possibly be in /etc/X11/xinitrc/ directory.

Also for your knowledge:

/usr - all user programs, librarys, scripts, etc in here (most of the time)

/home - where users home directory's exist. Kind of like the My Documents directory in windows.

/etc - configuration files and such.

/boot - where your kernel exists

/root - roots home directory

/sbin - super user binary's... in other words programs that only root can execute.

/bin - user programs like ls, cp, mv, chmod.

/tmp - directory where temporary files are stored.

/mnt - directory where devices such as hard drives, cdroms, floppy drives are mounted.

I don't think i'm leaving anything out... But I could be...

So what I would suggest is take a look at what programs you have on your system and find out how to use them by using man 'program name'.

If you see a directory that says bin/ this is where programs/scripts will be held. then to see what the program does use the manual command (man).

Good luck.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the nice layout
    Now that Im able to navigate through things, Ill try it all out (as u suggested)

kind regards

Just Joined!
    hi I simply had to post this:

My first post to this forum using Netscape Navigator 4.76 from Red Hat Linux (Windows Manager GNOME). Yey!!

Linux Newbie
    Congratulations!

That must be a great feeling, eh?

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Just Joined!
    yeah, It does feel kinda cool

--and now we start the journey in linux--

and btw thanks for the help so far everyone!

Just Joined!
    no problem brotha, we got ya back

Just Joined!
    no problem brotha, we got ya back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2