Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi everyone, plz refer to http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/vie...570&highlight= I got hold of my motherboard and now have an AMD K-6 2 450Mhz with 128 MB RAM and currently a 4MB SIS graphics ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

jsut a note: feel like a rock in the desert

hi everyone,

plz refer to http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/vie...570&highlight=

I got hold of my motherboard and now have an AMD K-6 2 450Mhz with 128 MB RAM and currently a 4MB SIS graphics card. ESS PnP audio and PnP LAN card. I was informed that all distros of linux have the CLI, so I loaded the one I could get hold of. Redhat 7.1.

The installation was interesting, but in the end I chose to install all available components / packages (2.2 GB). The partitioning was a bit messy at first. You must select the mount location for each partition (eg. "\", "\root" etc etc). I still have to find out what this is though lol!

anyway, I allowed linux to figure this out automatically for now and just install so long. I set the login to "text based" with the intent to switch back to gui mode If i got stuck. Guess what? Im stuck.

Its been a long time since I felt this dumb: Linux boots up and asks for the Local host login: I then log in with the username and password specified during installation and..... feel like a rock in the desert. Im there but I can do nothing. I got no arms no legs -> i just know Im there! sensing a vast realm of everything you cannot see... (nevermind) lol
    Anyway, Im now going to try out those urls you guys gave me, thanks for that btw! im up and running to a certain extent.

I started MSDOS from ver 3.0, so here goes with linux!

Just thought Id let the forum know. Thanks in advance, im sure I'll be back for some help!

Linux Engineer
    for the first time i advise you to start using the graphical login.it more easy and you don't have to write commands in the console window.then try reading command line helpful links.
    Have a good start~!
    Linux For Ever!

Yay!......Welcome to the wonderful world of linux.

We have all been there....

So pop in any time you get stuck and we will be glad to help figure it out .
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    A few tips/hints

-If your X11 config file is correct, you can run the command "startx" to start your WindowManager.

-*nix directories use forward slashes '/'.

-Filenames are case-sensitive (Something to watch out for, so you don't get confused later :P )

-The directory "/" root, is exactly that, the root directory. Meaning all directories are subdirectories of it. There is no c:\ d:\ in linux.

-The directory "/root" is the home directory for the user 'root'.

-All regular users home directories are in "/home/username"

-The character "~" means my user's home directory, (same as the HOME environment variable)

-The character "." means current directory (usefull to run programs/scripts if they are not in a directory in the PATH evironment variable)

hope that helps
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    hi and thanks.
    im sure Ill be back soon.

challenging but pleasant it seems

Just Joined!
    If your X11 config file is correct, you can run the command "startx" to start your WindowManager
    hi, Im getting a bit more used to navigating now. learning now how to change file permissions. I noticed you still have a DIR command. it does exactly the same as ls but doesn't indicate the colors.

This X11: is it the same thing as my X116? (cant remember the question mark) directory in my /usr directory. Is it under there? If so, how would I edit it. I know you must use less to view it. Im asking because when I run startx the system does all its loading stuff and then tells me no mode available.

thanks
    kind regards

Linux Newbie
    # vi filename

or

# vim filename

It is kind of a confusing text editor, I've been using it for a week now, and still gives me lots of trouble :-) I would suggest running through a tutorial and reading the man files before attempting to use it, just to make things a bit easier. Then practice practice practice! :-P

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Just Joined!
    hi, where can I change the display settings for my GUI. Id like tro ensure the GUI is working, but when I run startx, I get "No mode available" and apparently something to do with a too high resolution for might 4MB sis pci card. So id like to be able to change the resolution.

thanks

Linux User
    this X11: is it the same thing as my X116
    the X11 directory is probably just a link to your X11R6 (whatever its name is) You can check by using ls or file
    Code:
    $ ls -al /path/to/X11
    The next thing to check is do you have XFree86, or do you have X.org's X server? It should say about one or the other on the screen with the error, if you scroll up. (Try shift+pgUp)

Depending which one you have, edit /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/xorg.conf with vim if you know how.
    Code:
    $ su root
    [enter root password]
    # vim /etc/X11/XF86Config
    Make sure you know how to use vi/vim especially before you edit any file as root.

you could run "xf86config" as root to configure the file through a list of questions. I'm not sure if X.org's version has a program or not.
    --monkey

Just Joined!
    hi, I'll check that out.
    thankyou

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast