Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Re Compileing the kernal and adding new Hardware.

Ok I'm a total Newbie to Linux. I'm an ITT Tech student studying Computer Networking Systems and I have found some intrest in Linux. I've never tryed to use it before because it seems so hard to do. My problem is I have Redhat 9 and I have an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe with Gig E networking and onboard sound. I can't figure out for the life of me how to install these things and need some help so I don't screw it up. I'ma windows guy wanting to move to the more stable Linux for some FTP and other types of servers. Any and all help is good. Thanx.

Just Joined!
    Ok I got the new kernel update and got that all installed and got my ntfs Drives to work in Linux now I just need to install my sound card drivers and my NIC drivers. Well the Nic looks to be in the new Kernel but it says it's not present when I try to install it. It's onboard and in windows it says it's IRQ 22 and in linux it only goes up to 15? How do I get this thing to work?

Just Joined!
    So noone knows how to do this. Or noone wants to help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Yea, we are here to help ya .I just have a few questions for you..

1) What version of the kernel did you download?
    2) What is your hardware situation look like? What soundcard?Motherboard?

Newest software for linux in the sound department is ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architechure) www.alsa-project.org You should check out that site and see if your card is supported by alsa.

If you have 2.6.x kernel then you can compile ALSA right into your kernel which is really cool, and I suggest you do that. I want to explain though that there is a couple ways to build a kernel.

1) compiling all components in the kernel as modules.
    2) compiling all components into the kernel.

I suggest compiling all components into the kernel, because I find there is less problems that way.

So lets say you downloaded kernel source 2.6.6...

1) Put kernel-2.6.6.tar.gz into /usr/src/
    2) Extract: tar -xvzf kernel-2.6.6.tar.gz
    3) Go into directory: cd kernel-2.6.6
    4) Start configuring: make menuconfig
    5) Now to compile components into kernel press 'y' instead of 'm' or space
    6) When you are done safe your configuration so you won't have to do that all over again.. you can use this config file for more kernel versions to come.
    7) then 'make' your new kernel
    once kernel is all made then copy your kernel to boot directory:

cp /arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

9) then configure your lilo.conf or grub.conf file in /etc directory

When you have configured lilo or grub, then run 'lilo' or 'grub' to add your new kernel to the boot image.