Find the answer to your Linux question:
This may be one of those DUH questions. Can some one explain why I can purchase a particular distro from one web site for $5.95 for a series of 4 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distros and Pricing - Differences

This may be one of those DUH questions. Can some one explain why I can purchase a particular distro from one web site for $5.95 for a series of 4 CDs and when I go to the distro's web site, the same OS is considerablly more? For example, I can purchase a set 4 CDs for Mandrake 10 at one site for about $5.95, yet when I go to the Mandrake web site, their packages starts at about $50 and goes up from there. What are the differences between the two OS aside from the manual and support one obviously pays for in a nicely boxed product from Mandrake? Being new to Mandrake I don't quite understand if there are any differences in the OS other than the manual and support that one gets in the more expensive package.

Linux Engineer
    You get manual, maybe support but more importantly you're supporting the distro. The major distros like mandrake, suse, etc are commercial in teir business plan and need to turn some sort of a profit.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    I think the only difference is that if you buy from a shop the distro you mentioned ,it won't have any documentation.they download mandrake from the official site and thats all.from the site it's more expensive cause it includes books about configuration of the os.AlthoughThe os is still the same !
    Linux For Ever!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    dt2
    Just Joined!
    I just installed Mandrake 10.0 last night, and while it was installing it threw up a bunch of snazzy splash screens to keep you entertained...anyway, one of them indicated that the boxed set (in addition to the manual and the technical support) includes more drivers to support more hardware. (They gave two examples; I can't remember both now, but one of them was video card drivers -- they said the download version may not support all cards from all manufacturers.) I don't know if that's true; at any rate, Mandrake successfully found my old PCI GeForce2 MX 400 card, so I have no complaints.

Does anyone else remember seeing the splash screen I'm talking about?