Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm running Fedora Core 2 and have updated the kernel to 2.6.7. How do i delete the old kernel? Do i just delete vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358, System.map-2.6.5-1.358, initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img, and the entire /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to delete an old kernel?

I'm running Fedora Core 2 and have updated the kernel to 2.6.7. How do i delete the old kernel? Do i just delete vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358, System.map-2.6.5-1.358, initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img, and the entire /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358 directory and remove the entry from grub?

Just Joined!
    Just delete the kernel from /boot and remove it from grub config file... although it's always good to have a few kernels, just because if you have one kernel that is working really well and doesn't mess up when linux is booting up, and you boot up the new kernel you just created and it doesn't work, then you have a safe backup

Just Joined!
    The easiest and safest way to do this is:

rpm -e <kernel-name>

To get a list of packages do a:

rpm -qa

This will be a big list, to narrow down do a :

rpm -qa | grep kernel (or even better give it a version number like 35

You'll get a few entries like kernel-...whatever and kernel-source-...whatever, etc..

then do rpm -e on each one. Be careful and make sure your current kernel is alive and well The rpm scripts for the kernel should update your grub or lilo confs accordingly.

Hope that helps,
    Kauai