Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently did an upgrade of the kernel, just because RH 8.0 said there were updates, so I decided to get all of the updates, and after downloading a new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Error when clicking on Linux Kernel Configurator

I recently did an upgrade of the kernel, just because RH 8.0 said there were updates, so I decided to get all of the updates, and after downloading a new kernel, now i have two kernels I can boot from from the bootloader (LILO).

Now I am messing around, since I am a real newbie, trying to figure out how linux works and evreything, and when I clicked on the Linux Kernel Configurator -KDE this message appeared:

The Kernel configuration could not be read due ot the following error:
    cannont open /usr/src/linux-2.4/arch/config.in for readingEither your kernel sources
    contain invalid configuration rules or you just found a bug in the KDE Kernel Configurator.

Does this mean that something's wrong with the Kernel, or just the KDE Kernel Configurator?
    And how do I fix either. I don't think it is the kernel, since my system is working fine right now...(lets not jinx it though). All I wanted to do was remove the old kernel, perhaps just from the bootloader, but maybe entirely, I just want new stuff. I am only messing around with Linux right now, this is not my mission critical machine. Thanks for the info people. [/b]

Linux Guru
    Do you have your kernel sources installed?

Just Joined!
    I am a very newbie, I am not sure what you mean by the kernel sources installed.

I didn't download the kernel and compile it myself, and do all that footwork, I just ran the up2date and it installed the new kernel for me. Maybe what the up2date did was download the source, compile it, and install it, but as far as I know, I have no idea. Does that help?

Linux Guru
    I'm sorry, I just assumed that you had seen it during installation. There is an option in the installation program that allows you to install the source code for your kernel, but if you didn't see it, I assume that you didn't install it. If you want to check to make sure, run "rpm -q kernel-source" in a terminal. If you have them installed, it will show you the version.
    If you don't have it installed, install it from the CD (I'm not sure exactly where in RedHat's post-installation setup program that you'll find the kernel sources, but just look for it in there; it shouldn't be too hard to find). Then when you run up2date, it will discover that they are out of date, too, and update them to match your current kernel. Then try running the kernel configurator again.

Apparently the kernel configurator requires the kernel source code to be installed, since it's looking for files in /usr/src/linux-2.4/. To be honest with you, the path that it looks for seems strange, since there should be no arch/config.in in the source code, but maybe that clears up anyway. It would be stupid of them to look for files that don't exist, so maybe it is some intermediate or fall-back stage that fails.

However, if you are a newbie, are you sure that you should begin with kernel configuration? It's not really the easist part of a Linux system (or GNU/Linux as it should be called; see this link). If you don't know the shell, I would say that should be your first priority.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I understand what you are saying, I wasn't really going to start messing around with Kernel installs, I just wanted to go through as much of the applications installed on my system as possible, just to give me an overview, even if I don't know how to use it yet, of my system capabilities. I'll definitely read up some more before I do the kernel source install like you said. Thanks.