Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Please can someone let me know the best method of formatting Linux partitions? I have a swap partition and a root partition which I want to format and install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to format Linux partitions

Hi,

Please can someone let me know the best method of formatting Linux partitions? I have a swap partition and a root partition which I want to format and install another distro on.

I am aware of fdisk and cfdisk but, as far as i can tell, these are only for creating and deleting partitions.

Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Linux Newbie
    You probably want to create an ext3 and a swap partition. The script /sbin/mkfs.ext3 that should come with your distro will make the ext3 one for you. Just type
    Code:
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda5
    at the terminal, but replace /dev/hda5 with the device you want to format. Similarly, to make a swap partition, just run (as root):
    Code:
    mkswap /dev/hda6
    or whatever partition you want to use.
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Just Joined!
    Thanks Dan, but I need to format the partitions before Linux is loaded (i.e. I have a Win XP partition (Win XP doesn't recognise the linux swap and root partitions so I can't do anything with them here) and the swap and root partition (with Suse 9.0 installed).

I need to format the swap and root partitions before anythng is loaded (i.e. when installing Suse 9.0 Yast allows you to configure your partitions. During Slackware install you are informed that your partitions must be ready first as the installer does not do this for you).

How are you supposed to prepare your partitions first? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Andy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Can't you just select the existing linux partitions while installing the new linux distro? This is usually possible. I Installed suse 9.1 over an existing Mandrake 9.1 installation. While in the installation program, choose the existing linux partitios and tell the program to format them before installing (in Suse this was possible, and also to choose what file format to use)
    I donät know about slackware thou..

Just Joined!
    ...or why not try to do it with Knoppix? If you donwnload and burn Linux Knoppix on a CD you can boot from that CD and do what ever you want from there...

Linux Engineer
    if you boot ur pc from the cd of ur suse distro there u can choose in section "partitioning" expert mode and there u can choose to format the partitions u want.it's very easy,believe me!
    good luck!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help guys,

I tried it last night and it is only the partitions that need to be setup before the Slackware install. When you tell Slackware which partition to use for the swap and root it then formats them (giving you a choice of file systems for root).

I pointed the install to my Suse swap and root and it formatted them for me

Only problem now is that my DVD had loads of scratches on it and I get constant read errors on certain package groups. I have to wait for another DVD to be sent out before I get to try Slackware out

Also, because Slackware only half installed, my MBR is broken so on boot I just get "GRUB -" and I can't do anything!