Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Linux SuSE 9.1 and I can't compile source codes. I got the following message: linux:/programs/kismet-2004-04-R1 # ./configure checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu checking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

./configure problems

I have Linux SuSE 9.1 and I can't compile source codes.
    I got the following message:

linux:/programs/kismet-2004-04-R1 # ./configure
    checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
    checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    See `config.log' for more details.
    linux:/programs/kismet-2004-04-R1 #

I was reading some articles and I thought that I have to download the latest GCC so I installed the following packages: cpp-mainline-3.4.1-1.1.i586.rpm, gcc-mainline-3.4.1-1.1.i586.rpm & glibc-devel-2.3.3-98.i586.rpm but I till getting the same error. I also download this TAR File gcc-3.3.4-20040530.tar.gz but I don't know how to install that. I not quite sure if i even doing the right thing... I'm desperate because I have about 4 days reading forums but I haven't find a solution yet.... I'm new using Linux... Can someone help?

don
    Linux Newbie
    extract the gcc tar file. there opught to be a readme on how to proceed within that. You are on the right path.. u need to install gcc.
    I\'m just a simple fisherman blessed with a lot of friends

e2k
    Just Joined!
    It's much easier to install it with YaST.. If you're using Personal edition, you have to change the Source of installation to a FTP mirror (http://www.suse.com/us/private/downl...t_mirrors.html) and then do the Install and Remove software. gcc can't be found on the personal cd, so that's why you should change the source from cd to ftp.