Find the answer to your Linux question:
Partitioning seems to be my weak point still. I know so many people have there different views on how they partition there system but what I am looking for is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Slackware 9.1 help please

Partitioning seems to be my weak point still. I know so many people have there different views on how they partition there system but what I am looking for is "what would you do". So I can compare the good and the bad views.

This is what I am working with.

- I have a 40GB HD on my laptop and would like to have Win XP and Slackware installed on it.

- already have a 18.62 GB NTFS partition with my Win XP OS installed.

- I have 18.62 unpartition space I would like to use for Slackware

The only partitions I was thinking of installing were / (root), /swap, /boot, and /var

- My laptop has 1GB of RAM and is a Pentium 4 2.20GHz
    - Iím installing Slackware 9.1

When I boot from the CD I enter fdisk /dev/hda and begin the partitioning processes.

I noticed the first partition for my Win XP is listed as /dev/hda1

What processes should I do next to get the best performance out of my laptop with the hardware I have? How much space should I make the /swap and other partitions?

I heard you should make the /sawp drive twice the amount of RAM you have in your computer... but Ive also read that over 1GB of /swap is not a good idea.

How big should I make my /var and /boot ?

I apologize for this type of questions because Iím sure this board gets 5 of these a week. I am going to try and visit linuxforums more often and contribute as much as I can. This installing linux on different systems always seem to give me a hard time.

Thank You

First off...welcome and we hope you stick around!

On to business...My suggestion is:

/boot : No more than 32M
    swap : 1x your RAM (just in case you ever need to do a full mem dump (highly unlikely, but I'm paranoid ))
    /var : No more than 3G ( >1G if you're not running servers )
    / : the rest

I have a separate partition for my /home to keep my settings more portable. Hope this helps.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    First off...welcome and we hope you stick around!

On to business...My suggestion is:

/boot : No more than 32M
    swap : 1x your RAM (just in case you ever need to do a full mem dump (highly unlikely, but I'm paranoid ))
    /var : No more than 3G ( >1G if you're not running servers )
    / : the rest

I have a separate partition for my /home to keep my settings more portable. Hope this helps.
    This is the helpful kick I neededÖ Thank you sarumont

I have many more questions I want to blurt out but I will hold off until I finish reading the information already posted on this board.

Thank you for the warm welcome

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close