I'm using a Windows XP system and have root access, via SSH (using PuTTY or Cygwin), to a remote server which is running Debian Linux. The server was only a basic installation of Debian so had no X, KDE/GNOME etc. set up.

What I want to do ultimately (if possible) is install and configure a GUI on the Debian box, then have access to the GUI via either VNC or SSH from my Windows XP system (I'd assumed SSH was text-only but read in another thread that it supports X windows etc.).

So far I've used the Debian package system (APT) to install packages for XFree86 server, KDE, VNC server. I've run xfree86config (as the Debian box doesn't actually have a mouse, keyboard, monitor etc. I just used some standard settings for some elements) which produced the XFree86 config file for me. Currently, when trying to startx it runs through the config file but fails with a fatal error "xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)".

Firstly, is what I want to do possible? Secondly, have I got the right idea generally and where do I need to go from here?

Any help appreciated!

Steve