Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hey, I'm pretty new to Linux, and I was wondering: What's the best distribution for new Linux users? Thanks for the help, Ross...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best distro for new users?

Hey, I'm pretty new to Linux, and I was wondering: What's the best distribution for new Linux users?

Thanks for the help,
    Ross

dt2
    Just Joined!
    Two recent threads on this topic. If you have questions after reading them feel free to write back!

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20809

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20989

Good luck!

All the best,
    dt2

e2k
    Just Joined!
    I don't think there is such a thing as a "best distro", but if you want an easy distro, aim for an easy installation..(?) Therefor Suse might be an alternative.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help

I like the look of Fedora... But that's mostly because I'm a whiney nerd with no life. :P It's either that, or Mandrake.

Which would you recommend?

dt2
    Just Joined!
    Both are solid distros that have tons of support. I personally chose Mandrake over FC2 (I was making the same choice as you) because it reputedly has better hardware recog/support. Installation was very smooth, and no complaints so far. Haven't tried FC2, so can't offer an actual comparison, per se.

Just Joined!
    Ah.

Sounds good I've actually had Mandrake before, and was quite happy with it. It was only for about a week though. My parents made me take it off their computer after that :/ Thanks again!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dt2
    Both are solid distros that have tons of support. I personally chose Mandrake over FC2 (I was making the same choice as you) because it reputedly has better hardware recog/support. Installation was very smooth, and no complaints so far. Haven't tried FC2, so can't offer an actual comparison, per se.
    I've heard that Mandrake is one of the easiest. I'm not too sure about FC2, although I know it's a lot more stable than FC1. As it's from the team that produced the RedHat distros, you're also likely to find plenty of documentation for it.

As I've only tried Slackware, I can't offer a much more detailed answer than that. However, when I installed Slack' I found it quick and fairly easy so you might want to have a look at that.

Just Joined!
    I'll take a look at Slackware now...

Linux Engineer
    Personally not keen on RH/FC.

Mandrake is a doddle.

Slackware may be a bit hairy for a new user with no previous experience. Not to say it's not possible though as Slack is a top distro IMO.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    I'm really thinking of going with FC2. You can get the CD's for roughly $5, eliminating the hassle of downloading the whole thing.

Plus, it's got a more, 'community' feel to it.

And stuff.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast