Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
i never use it. But you might need it for.. umm bz2 if I recall correctly or ow, wait that was j.. Check the man pages...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

i never use it.
    But you might need it for.. umm bz2 if I recall correctly or ow, wait that was j..
    Check the man pages
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    I don't mean to upset CLI fans, but this is one case where the GUI is really much quicker as long as you understand what it's doing. When you double click an archive, ark will show you the contents -- and you can even open individual files in the archive from there -- but doesn't extract them. Think of it as a preview. To extract them, instead of double clicking, right-click the archive and select 'extract'.

Total CLI time: 5 seconds to ls the directory to check what the file name is, another 15 seconds to type out the long command. Possibly another 5 minutes checking man pages to be sure parameters are right, depending on level of experience.
    Total GUI time: 2 seconds to right-click and extract.

Extracting is as fast with commandline is more flexable.
    You can use it in BashScripts.. I only use CommandLine on my Server and Laptop. So well I can only use tar.

A GUI is usefull. Its as quick as cli its easy. But the cons are that its not flexable. Cant be used in scripting. cant be tunneled.. Uses more System Resources
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoth View Post
    I don't mean to upset CLI fans, but this is one case where the GUI is really much quicker as long as you understand what it's doing. When you double click an archive, ark will show you the contents -- and you can even open individual files in the archive from there -- but doesn't extract them. Think of it as a preview. To extract them, instead of double clicking, right-click the archive and select 'extract'.

Total CLI time: 5 seconds to ls the directory to check what the file name is, another 15 seconds to type out the long command. Possibly another 5 minutes checking man pages to be sure parameters are right, depending on level of experience.
    Total GUI time: 2 seconds to right-click and extract.
    Hello.

Yes, thank you so much, for your good comments: That is the way, how I unpacked my packages.

It is good to know, that I did it correctly.

And thanks to all the other members, for posting their posts in this tread.

Bye for now.

Kind regards,
    Alexander

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2