Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Can't resist tossing in 2 cents, although I probably should. Users get a bit defensive when it comes to distributions. There is a large range of attitudes when it comes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Can't resist tossing in 2 cents, although I probably should. Users get a bit defensive when it comes to distributions.

There is a large range of attitudes when it comes to non-free stuff. Fedora is somewhere at the puritanical end of the spectrum. Non-free stuff can be installed but it can become a bit of work.

Ubuntu also shys from the non-free items but at least they make it easy to install things like java and codecs for those who want .

Mepis and PcLinuxOS are 2 examples of systems that work out-of-the-box. The user is left to read the non-free licenses if they feel concerned. Mepis is changing repositories at the moment, so stay away from it till next month.

2 cents and out.
    WARNING: I may be telling you more than I know !

Just Joined!
    I turned to Ubuntu, thanks for that tip! It works well, Java and also old SW's which don't operate with newer W*** got installed with no problem with Wine. So far everything looks good. Kids are happy and so am I. WGA driver installing still puzzles me but I bet I'll find help for it on other threads.

Thank you all!

Glad you got it working and especially glad you're all are happy.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2