Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been trying to do this for the last few hours, without much success. I'm a total newbie to Linux (well, I've been using it for a few months, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Java

I've been trying to do this for the last few hours, without much success. I'm a total newbie to Linux (well, I've been using it for a few months, but just for basic web browsing and the such) and I've come to the point where I need to download Java to get chatrooms and the such to wrok. I can't tell you many specific details, because I don't know them but I downloaded straight from the Java site, and I've got it to download, I just have no clue how to install, This is the point I'm at and I'm completely stuck. Anyone willing to help walk me through this last part?

The site you linked to has a fairly clear step-by-step on it already. Is there a particular step you're having trouble with?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    My main problem is
    Go to the plugins sub-directory under the Mozilla installation directory
    cd <Mozilla installation directory>/plugins

What is <Mozilla installation directory>?

Sorry I wasn't clear enough in the first post

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    What distribution are you using? There might be an easier way to install the Java plug-in. Are you planning on installing this in Firefox? You could look in the /usr/local/firefox directory. I'm not entirely sure where it gets installed.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I'm on Kubuntu, and I am planning on installing it on firefox. I'll check out /use/local/firefox. Thanks for putting up with my complete stupidness

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Also having great difficulties with this step-by-step installing. Getting hate my choice (Fedora 7). Finally after command to install Java, i got message line "permission denied". GRRRR! I was logged in as a root and still all this... There are no words to express myself at the moment. Isn't there really anything to get softwares installed without writing line after line and then not succeeding. Problem also is I haven't found the way to share installed software with all users, they are all still root-to-use. My kids hate me after all this idealism of Linux. They can't play web games without Java and all nice software are hiding behind my root password. Should I just step back, format hdd and get W*** after all and leave linux for Pro's? I got an idea Fedora was made to non experieced users also.

Here is a link that will help you install Java and a whole lot more.
    Personal Fedora 7 Installation Guide
    You probably just forgot to change the permissions of the downloaded java file. Which command did you use, when you got the permission denied error? I'm sure your kids are ready to pull your hair out by now, just have patience and don't get stressed out about any of this Linux stuff. Fedora isn't a great choice for Linux newbies, Ubuntu would be much better in my opinion.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks MikeTbob! There was all these lines in Java site I used (chmod etc) I faithfully wrote and got as far as installing. After installing command it was just no-can-do. Maybe I'll try Ubuntu. Just hope the install DVD material isn't quite as huge as Fedora's. Took hours to download it via lines even birds sitting on can be seen as speed lowering .

If you'd like to avoid downloading another large DVD, you could start a new thread and try to fix the Fedora java install. Just be sure to give detailed info on which command you are having trouble with.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Problem occured after writing ./jre-6u..... and hitting Enter. I'll try to do everything again (again) too see if there's something odd before this line I haven't noticed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast