Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi! My scan program "Kooka" is refusing to work together with my scanner, but my shell-konsole output does state, that my scanner is detectected, when given in the command "su ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Suggestions for scan programs, please, thanks.

Hi!

My scan program "Kooka" is refusing to work together with my scanner, but my shell-konsole output does state, that my scanner is detectected, when given in the command "su sane-find-scanner."

So:

Please recommend to me some good scan programs under Linux.

I am putting Kooka on the holding siding for a while. Maybe it will just respond one lucky day.

Here, for all interested folks, a scheme, about how a scan system is built up:

User
    |
    Scan program (Frontend)
    |
    SANE-Backend
    |
    libusb
    |
    resmgr <-- PAM <-- Login
    |
    USB-Kernelmodule <-- hotplug <-- Attaching the scanner (Plug in)
    |
    USB-Hardware in your computer
    |
    USB-Kabel connection (evt. extra USB-Hubs)
    |
    Scanner

I do suppose, that in my case, only the scan program is the problem: You I will try by just using a other one. I hope, that will do the trick.

Thanks a lot, for your interest. Have a wonderful day.

Alexander

Banned
    Hi again.

Before giving it up with Kooka, I did also the following proceedings:
    /etc/sane.d/dll.conf - Configuration file for the SANE dynamic backend loader:

Fact: When installing Sane, it does put certain data in /etc/sane.d...
    Apparently, this is for the detection of different scanner types.

When you start using your scanner program, the list with all the attached scanners gets chequed, and a few bytes go to the printer, which get printed out, after the timeout.

In the context of this fact and matter, you can therefore ask yourself the follwing question:
    "What about this "auto-detect"-feature? And what about its settings? - How can you configure a list with listed scanners of USB-models (and webcams)?" -And so fort, and so on, etc., etc., ...

Recommendation:

1.) Go into your file "dll.conf". Look at it. (Put the rights, and execution before, or now).

2.) Comment every other model out, than your own one, but leave "net" there, as well. I would say, that if your own model is not listed there: Just type it in!

Save your done changes: If you have set your needed permissions, and set the file to be allowed to be exectuted, as I said, in step 1.), than you should be prompted to press the "overwrite"-button: Do it.

3.) Further, you should look into the conf. files of your scanner model, which you should also be able to see among those files. - Provided that there are such files about your scanner. There maybe not be. But it maybe not be a problem, as well. So, now you should be done, with that little job.

(If you do want to scan through a network, you should also have a look into "saned.conf".

Go out of your directoy, and if you want to see, it this will do the trick for you, just log out, and log in again, maybe unplug and plug in your USB cable your scanner (to your computer) a few times, if necessary, click on your scan program button, and see what happens.

Settings, for such devices, as printers, scanners, or even webcams, etc., are very sensitive. Sometimes, it will do the trick, with the plug-method, as I explained. Sometimes, it will be necessary to use a other plug in port, or if not enough ports, you would have to get a external extra hub, for plugging in additional USB cables and devices.

If your scanner does not work, or not work properly, you might want to check out the above mentioned steps and recommendations.

I will do the same, in my case.

I guess, some people here, did try to get a scanner running on Linux, even one with parall system, and it did not work, so they gave it up, and put their scanner in the broom closet, or somewhere else out of their way.

But time does work in favor for you:

In the meantime, some Linux member happens to write a driver for your printer or scanner: Just look, and update your information about drivers for your devices, which hopelessly did not run at one time.

By reading forums, and articles in the internet: In the meantime, you might be lucky, and stumble over some information, so that you are capable of doing the appropriate settings for your device.

But maybe you have bought yourself a newer scanner and printer, because at that time, you where not able to get the one you where first trying to install, going.

However: That "old one", can get to be put into working order/state, so if you don't need it yourself anymore, maybe someone else could use it, and would be happy to have it. Don't forget though, to provide him with the necessary information, so that he will be able to install it, and get it running for himself.

This is maybe a idea, instead of throwing away some good and useful printer or scanner. They still can do a great job and fullfill a great duty, even if they are a bit old and outdated.

In fact, a other problem is, that if you have a newer printer and scanner, you might even have to be patient, and wait a few months, till in the meantime there will be a useful driver that you can download and install.

It is like this: Some older models, you can install now, and some newer models, you can't install now.

Just check the websites for drivers, before you buy a new printer or scanner, and you are using Linux, or you are intending to use Linx in the near future.

Ok, that is all for now.

I will go from there, and see what happens, and if I am lucky, or if the only solution is to install and use a other scan program.

Thank you, for your attention.

Bye for now, and I will give some feedback and report later on.

Take care, and enjoy, whatever you are doing.

Kind regards,
    Alexander

Banned
    Hi.

I am just trying to put possible right, what I maybe did wrong before, after downloading and unpacking the Sana packages and files:

I just got the following output after I gave in the command as root into the shell konsole:

Command:

./configure
    make
    su
    make install
    Output:

Password:
    root@4[~]# ./configure
    -su: ./configure: No such file or directory
    root@4[~]# make
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    root@4[~]# su
    root@4[~]# make install
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
    root@4[~]#
    root@4[~]#
    root@4[~]#

I might have to look into my rules again...

I anderstand, that my rule files can not target whatever, mybe ... well let me look again at the theme/structure of my very first post of this thread...

Whait a minute:
    So what is the shell console trying to say to us:

The keywords, received out of the shell console are:

1.) file of directory, respectiveley, file directory.

2.) makefile

3.) rule to make target install

Ok, then I will check out, and see what I can find for such files, that sound like those keywords.

Rulefile and makefile. But apparently no such makefile: Would I have to see, that I can find and download the makefile? We will probably find out...

Alexander

Banned
    I looked at the output again, and make the following recapitulation, a bit refind, if you wll:

1.) I used the root shell command console, and gave in the following command, I missed out to give in a few days ago, all in one block. Instead of that, I gave it in in portions in the normal shell console as user, not as root, (I had given it into the "Run command"-window as well, which was possibly wrong...) and it probably was of no good use, at that time.
    So this is the command, one has to obviously give in (into the shell console as root, respectively, the Root Shell Konsole), after unpacking the driver and file packages:

./configure
    make
    make install

And this is how I understand the output of my root shell console:

No configure file found.

No targets specified.

No rule found, for „install target“.

No makefile found.

---------

Ok: So let me see, what I can find in the file directory, and what I can find or that I possibly allready have, put havent properly installed it, and what I maybe be able to creat myself, such a a "makefile", etc.

I guess, I must be able to sort out all these questions and obscurities, that I have posted in the previous posts, before I consider of using a other scan program, or else, that won't be of any good either.

Thank you,

Alexander

Banned
    P.S.:

I do not think, I had to do, or have to do the "make" and "install" commands, because it look like that my tar files are allready unpacked, and in folders in the file directory.

So I might just skip that issue, go on, and look at those files later.

It might be something important to do, or it might be all ok.

Anyway: It wouldn't be wrong, just to get and download and install a other scan program, and see if my scanner would scan that way. We would then at least also know about the "make and install issue"...

So: Often, there are different ways to do things, and to find a solution. I mean, different tasks to start from, and different ways of efficient troubleshooting.

Th
    It might be something important to do, or it might be all ok. ere is no "one way", and no "one size fits all"...

Thank you, for your attention.

Alexander

P.S.:

I think, the obove mentioned problem and questions, where only in the case of if you do compile the backend, and if you compile and install SANE at the same time, so you proceed by typing that mentioned command in the traditional way. But this does probably not concern the normal and easy procedure of installing SANE.

So, again, skip the compiling and "make, and make and install, and the configure"-issue.

Yes: Sometimes one can get a little confused and mixed up, till you have it right. But once done it right, you will allway be able to proceed in the right way. It just, about, once you know how to do it, it is easy.

Linux is easy, ha, ha...

Alexander

P.S., P.S.:

I just feel like one of the guys and women allways speaking a monologue, and not a real dialog, like on the videos on "blip.tv" (very nice videos indeed/pleas watch, or you are missing something out...).

Yes: "blip.tv", on your own Internet connection: Don't miss! Great videos. Fantastic. Nonstop amusement, on your computer.

Alexander

Banned
    I like to use this opportunity to put something clear, so that no misunderstanding happens, and no one thinks, that my statements are contradictionall:

To install a outdated printer can be a nice and positive experience.

Specially on Linux.

But a outdated motherboard/mainboard, and very poor memory RAM, and poor storage on small hard disk drives, etc., etc., can be a real pain in your... whatsoever.

I just love parallel cables. They are so big and chunky, and I like the looks of the huge plugs. And: Printers with parallel cables work nicely, too (once installed, of course).

I like the newest technique, such a great motherboard from Gigabyte, some potential and up to date video cards for digital receiving, etc, and at the same time, people are putting parallel cables down, highly praising USB technique and cables (even though, by looking at it properly, USB is allready outdatet, looking at eSATA), und just not can understand, why I still love parallel cables connected to whatever printers I have. Mind you: Parallel cables do seem to have some advantages over USB cables. But let's leave the disput...

Oh, of course, for a rather new scanner, it might do look better, with a USB cable.

Cheers,
    Alexander

Banned

Latest test results

The latest test results:

I gave in the command "scanimage" into the Root Shell Kommand window, and it gave me the following feedback:

---------------------
    Password:
    root@4[~]# scanimage -L

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
    check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
    sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
    which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
    ----------------------

OK: The "sane-find-scanner"-command showed a few days before, that the scanner was detected, so it seems to be a cable issue, at least here, in this test:
    Quote:
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [hewlett packard], product=0x2305 [hp scanjet], chip=RTS8822L-01H) at libusb:001:004
    # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
    # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.
    -------------------

Conclusion:

The scanner has not been detected/identified. Period.

How to continue to proceed?:

1.) Read "Read Me" 's

2.) Read backend's manpage.

3.) Read as much relevant and useful information you can get from the Internet, formum, etc.

4.) Read, read, read.

5.) Get help.

Please help.

Thank you,

Alexander

Banned
    Also (and I must admit, that I have a bad attitude of not reading properly, what it states on the files, because there is a lot of essential information on it):

I forgot to do a few adjustments on the "Libsane-extras.config."-file.
    I dit put my scanner model on it, but should of done more:
    Quote:
    --------------------
    "# udev rules file for scanners supported by libsane-extras
    #
    #
    # To add a USB scanner, add a rule to the list below between the SUBSYSTEM...
    # and LABEL... lines.
    #
    # To run a script when your scanner is plugged in, add RUN="/path/to/script"
    # to the appropriate rule.
    #
    ----------------------

I did not make this readable for the computer:
    "hp_rts88xx backend", so I deleted this: "##" , infront.

Question:
    Quote:
    "# To run a script when your scanner is plugged in, add RUN="/path/to/script"
    # to the appropriate rule."
    Question:
    -Which rule, do they mean?

Banned
    I looked into the „rules-issue“...:

Ok:

I added my scanner to two rules within this part of the directory: /etc/udev/rules.d .

The files say to add your printer, and state furher: Quote:
    „# To run a script when your scanner is plugged in, add RUN="/path/to/script"
    # to the appropriate rule.“

According to that, I made the following paths and commands:

Run /etc/udev/rules.d/025_libsane-extras.rules
    Run /etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules

Ok: Lets give in the commands, and see what happens...

(I guess, it has to go into the „Run Command“-line, but if that does not do the trick, I might also try to give it into the Shell – Konsole, and into the Root – Shell- Konsole.)

According to previous negativ output of the Shell-Konsole, we also have to look at the configure files and the makefile files.

Actually, we had allready done some changements to a few configure files. And maybe it did not realize that, because we hadn't loged out, and loged in again, for adding that to hes memory.

Probably, we have covered the configure files issue, and if we do the makefile issue, than we should have finally covered the other issues. And we should be fine, then.

So I will now take a look and see, what I can do with the makefile files, and then log out and log in again, so that all our changements will be stored and saved.

Alexander

Banned

What about the firmware?

Hello.
    The rules-commands did not work for me till now.
    I searched loads of files, for any interesting information about my scanner, and found this one. This is the content:

-----------------------------------

#!/bin/bash

# Load bulk/interrupt transfer test firmware into
    # various EZ-USB USB devices that will run it

FIRMWARE=/etc/udev/scripts/bpckusb.fw/
    FLAGS=
    # pre-renumeration device IDs
    case $PRODUCT in

# BACKPACK USB2 INTERNAL ADAPTER

#----------------------SCANNNERS SCANNERS-------------------------------
    #external usb1 scanner
    ac9/0/0)