Find the answer to your Linux question:
What is your preferred program to synchronize your system to a network time server? I see at least three in my repositories -- ntp, ntpdate, and ntp-refclock -- and imagine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Synchronizing system clock to network time server: which program?

What is your preferred program to synchronize your system to a network time server? I see at least three in my repositories -- ntp, ntpdate, and ntp-refclock -- and imagine there are more available.

My computer (running SimplyMEPIS 6.5) is connected to the Internet with a cable modem, so the connection isn't "intermittent" in the same sense that it would be with a modem. But it's certainly not turned on all the time. The system clock has gotten at least ten minutes ahead of the correct time.

Please let me know if I need to elaborate on something.

--Paul

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I've never used ntp-refclock. I usually use ntpdate to make one off updates to the system clock on my desktop and laptop. On my home server, I have ntpd running all the time. To correct you clock using ntpdate, you can do
    Code:
    ntpdate ntp.somentpserver.tld

scm
    Linux Engineer
    I use ntpd and my system clock is spot on with the MSF transmission from Frankfurt. The logs indicate that synchronization occurs every 20 minutes or so. Like you, I don't leave my systems on all the time.