Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok so I'm completely green to linux here and I'm planning to do the following with my linux server: run a small website, ftp server, and file server on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting NTFS Partitions Fedora Noobie

Ok so I'm completely green to linux here and I'm planning to do the following with my linux server: run a small website, ftp server, and file server on the local windows network.
    I've already hit a snag with the fact that I can't see any of the windows partitions. I've tried finding my answer in the forums but even the noowbie section is a bit over my head. I know I have to mount the drive but when I come across the solution it tells me to enter all these commands into a cmd prompt that I can't even find.
    So can someone tell me where to find this command prompt or better yet point me to some sort of tutorial where I can get a better understanding of how fedora works so that when I do read the forums I atleast have a clue as to what I'm doing and where I'm doing it. Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    I can't solve your probleme with the NTFS mounting, I've trying to do the same thing.
    But regarding command prompt you just use the "start" menu or rightklick your desktop and there it is..

Just Joined!
    Im not entirely sure I know what you're asking, but Im assuming you are having trouble finding the command prompt in the LINUX desktop environment. In that case there could be a few different ways depending on which desktop environment you are in.

In KDE, there should just be an icon in the start-menu equivalent. In gnome, it should be on the top by the menu's.

If you still cant find those, then just go into your start-menu equivalent, and click run application (or run program or run command...something along those lines) then type one of the following to get a terminal (these should work no matter which desktop environment you are in)

gnome-terminal <----(this is my preferred terminal)
    xterm

As for mounting the NTFS partition, I can tell you only that Slackware 10 auto-detected my windows NTFS partition during installation, and mounted it for me , but I hope those instructions you found work out for you

Hope that helps

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Slackware 10 sounds nice... but still, how would i solve it in my Fedora core 2, I really need my music at NTFS :P
    Anybody know ?? I suppose it aint that hard just you know the way..

Linux Newbie
    Look around your desktop, taskbar, and start-menu-equivalent until you find a program called "Xterm", "gnome-terminal", or anything else with the word "term" or "terminal" in it. That should be a terminal (i.e. command prompt). Open it, and log in as the superuser by typing "su" and then entering your root password. I hope you know it.

Once you're logged in to a terminal as root, follow the instructions that you found for mounting an NTFS partition. If you need any more help, or want that partition to be mounted at boot time, just post back.

Good luck!

chjo: You can mount an NTFS drive or partition with the command
    Code:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 mountpoint
    where /dev/hda2 should be replaced with the location of your NTFS drive. There should be some utility in your start-menu-thingy to tell you what this location is. "mountpoint" should be replaced with the location you want the mounted drive to appear, for example /home/chjo/windrive. You might want to mount it as read-only though, as NTFS write support for Linux is still a little shaky. To do this, use the command
    Code:
    mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hda2 mountpoint
    Situations arise because of the weather,
    And no kinds of love are better than others.

Just Joined!
    KING!!

This is what I'm looking for, tnx alot. I'll try that as soon as I get home.

Cheers

Linux Engineer
    be careful the mount point refers to a location that u want the drives to be mounted on.
    i would suggest to edit ur /etc/fstab file manually in order to have ur drives mounted on start-up of your pc.
    here is a helpful link of how to do this:
    have fun!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Another quetion... what do I need to do to make my kernel support NTFS. I'm trying:
    mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hdb1 /home/chjo/windrive

But i got the answer: "mount: filsystemstype ntfs is not supported by the kernel"

Terriblie sorry to bug you guys about this, but I really want this to work..

[EDIT] Nevermind, I figured it out.. [EDIT/]

Just Joined!

Slackware?

So slackware is another version of Linux, is a a more user friendly version. Should I download it and use it instead of the Fedora version?

Slackware is a more powerful* verison of linux, fendora is a more common distro, especial for newbies as it is more user friendly and windows like. As far as i would list the major distros in order of noob friendliness is as follows (these are only ones that i have tried)
    Mandrake
    Fedora
    Suse
    Slackware
    Debian
    Gentoo

*When I use the word powerful i mean in terms of ease of customization, thus making the system more tailored to your hardware and generaly decreasing boot time, and increasing compile speed.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333