Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi first of all let me say hello, this is my first post in here so please don't LART me for asking the following questions. I have been using windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Advice Please

Hi first of all let me say hello, this is my first post in here so please don't LART me for asking the following questions.

I have been using windows for some time now and have only used Linux in a previous job and only for a very short time.

So why am I here, because I have had just about all I can stand of Windows and as a friend said A world without boundaries doesn’t need Windows or Gates so I have decided to move to Linux completely.

I have some questions and concerns

So first:

What distro Fedora or Debian?

What can I use to backup work? sync file between two HDD.

And my main concern is finding alternatives to windows apps.

e.g. cd burning, paint shop pro, photoshop, dvd burning, ripping, stuff like this.

Also system backup like Acronish.

I am sure these questions have been asked, but I would be grateful if a few people coould point me in the right direction.

and yes before its said I know how to use Google lol I have just spent two hours reading a Fedora vs Debian artical and am still confused.

I just want something that will be easy to set up and maintain. However I am not afraid of a bit of hard work and am happy to mess about with config's and stuff.

Also could someone explain why their are different desktops like KDE and such.

Thanks in advance for helping.

Reavers

P.S. soz for spelling it sucks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, reavers!

What distro Fedora or Debian?
    It's really a matter of personal choice. Some like Debian, some like Fedora, and of course some like neither.

What can I use to backup work? sync file between two HDD.

And my main concern is finding alternatives to windows apps.

e.g. cd burning, paint shop pro, photoshop, dvd burning, ripping, stuff like this.

Also system backup like Acronish.
    You can find alternatives here:

The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux. (Official site of the table)

Linux App Finder | Helping find the Linux apps you need

Also could someone explain why their are different desktops like KDE and such.
    It's so that we have a choice. Linux is all about having freedom and choices.

Also, check the link in my signature for lots of additional information on getting started with Linux.

Hope you enjoy the Linux experience!
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi thanks for the reply I am goint to use Fedora 8 purly as have some experiance with it. thanks for the list or alternates really helped. I am going to use some of the guides from howtoforge.

and thanks again.

oz
    forum.guy
    Good luck with it, and don't hesitate to post new threads with any other questions.
    oz

Just Joined!
    you cam use gimp in linux for photoshop