Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok, heres my prob, I've just started using Linux after countless years of Windows, I know just enough about Linux to have installed it, and by the grace of some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Im an Uber Newb needing help with the basics

ok, heres my prob, I've just started using Linux after countless years of Windows, I know just enough about Linux to have installed it, and by the grace of some unknown god I accually got yahoo messanger installed( did so on accadent, just dont tell my freinds) I need to know where I can go to get some instructions on the basics, and be able to work my way up, remember, I downloaded and installed a free iso for a reason so lets not be talkin about gettin $40k books so I can learn to run a free operating system, and for the love of god, dont reply with the ever so irratating "oh you dumb worthelss newb" ego blown crap Ive gotten from so many other Linux users.............erg

Just Joined!
    I'm a n00b aswell... I'm using Fedora and got some nice help with the basics here http://fedoraguide.org/fc2/fc2beginnersguide.html

Otherwise just scroll the forum and you'll learn on the way, good luck

Linux User
    A easy thing to learn, and have it do something, is change your bash prompt. Here's a tutorial: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/

Theres a horde of tutorials/howto's at http://www.tldp.org just take a look around that site.
    --monkey

Linux Guru
    Best free source of information is HOWTO. Anything you want to know about,
    Code:
    Google:
     howto whatever
    and you'll get good links

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Best free source of information is HOWTO. Anything you want to know about,
    Code:
    Google:
     howto whatever
    and you'll get good links
    this is true! but there are always great sites out there, that arent mainstream-and IMO those rock.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey8
    A easy thing to learn, and have it do something, is change your bash prompt. Here's a tutorial: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/

Theres a horde of tutorials/howto's at http://www.tldp.org just take a look around that site.
    That is very cool, now I have something to do tomorrow while sitting at work bored.

Thank you for posting that.

Linux Newbie
    Hey man. I was you about four months ago. One thing I can tell you is stay here. This is the best Linux-help site I've seen thus far. The people here are really nice and helpful.

The best way I would suggest learning Linux is by experimenting and asking questions. Experiemnt, google, experiment, google, and if you still can't find the answer, then ask. For the most part, that's how I've learned the OS. Also, check the tutorials section right here at this forum. Some very good information over there. Google about general knowledge of Linux. After that, learn some basic shell commands. Read man pages. And I know you don't want books, but if you ever want any, the bible series is exceptional.

Im an Uber Newb needing help with the basics

Have you tried your local public lending library? I started like you a few months ago knowing absolutely nothing but I found some splendid books which helped me a lot and I didn't have to pay for them either. People tend to underestimate libraries for some reason. The other thing I found very useful were the HOWTO and FAQ documents produced by the Linux Documentation Poject. You should find some of them in your /usr/doc directory and others are available on the Web. They're written in nice plain English, unlike some of the man pages (these are useful too but not as a starting point). Good luck with your learning!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Engineer
    i think u should buy a linux book for learning the basics.especially those who teach you in 24 hours..they are simple to understand and have pictures telling u what to do.if u like redhat try learning redhat linux in 24 hours.
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast