Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, as the title suggests I have an old Compaq EVO (PIII 700mhz with half a gig of ram) I want to install Linux on. Given a couple of distro's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on Compaq EVO N400C

Hi, as the title suggests I have an old Compaq EVO (PIII 700mhz with half a gig of ram) I want to install Linux on. Given a couple of distro's a go but both had problems. Can anyone suggest a distro to try ?.

Hi and Welcome !

Which distros have you tried till now? What problems did you have?
    Any light weight distro will work fine on those specs. Check this Poll. Try as many as you can and decide yourself. Check the link in my signature too.

Good Luck !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi, thanks for responding. I've tried Ubuntu 7.10. It was easy to install but I found the touch pad took on a mind of its own at times. Also my pen drive wouldn't work.
    What would you suggest ?.

Post the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf file here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I just bought an n400c and loaded Xubuntu 7.10. Everything I've tested so far works including my SanDisk thumbdrive. Neat little ultra-compact laptop.

I did have to change the Grub startup parameters simply by eliminating "quiet" so the screen wouldn't go all-white at boot, but that was it.

Next is dual-monitor. There are instructions for that on the Ubuntu forums.

Then I'm going to tackle the W200 wireless card I just bought. It takes some hacking because it's a USB Orinoco card, but it's fairly well documented and appears to be working and stable. Even if I don't get it working, the PC Card Orinoco card and the wired Ethernet ports work flawlessly.

So, that's my vote: Xubuntu 7.10.

Good luck!