Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys i work in a local college in Scotland as a IT tech was doing my rounds last week throwing out old printers and broken bits of kit . ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Distro for G3 ibook

Hey guys i work in a local college in Scotland as a IT tech was doing my rounds last week throwing out old printers and broken bits of kit . When i came across 2 old g3 ibooks 1 powered up but had a broken screen and the outher dint work at all. i manged to salvage 1 laptop out of the both. It seems to work ok. spec as it goes is

12" screen
    G3 500 mhz
    8meg ATI Rage
    190 meg RAM
    20 GIG HD
    dvd rom

Managed to get OSX 10.4 (Tiger) on there the now works ok bit stuttery tho.

What do you think i should do with it. i.e what should the best ppc distro be for it. i have Ubuntu 7.10 would not boot at all and 6.10 could not get the air port or full rez on the display.

Quote Originally Posted by scotishhaggis View Post
    Hey guys i work in a local college in Scotland as a IT tech was doing my rounds last week throwing out old printers and broken bits of kit . When i came across 2 old g3 ibooks 1 powered up but had a broken screen and the outher dint work at all. i manged to salvage 1 laptop out of the both. It seems to work ok. spec as it goes is

12" screen
    G3 500 mhz
    8meg ATI Rage
    190 meg RAM
    20 GIG HD
    dvd rom

Managed to get OSX 10.4 (Tiger) on there the now works ok bit stuttery tho.

What do you think i should do with it. i.e what should the best ppc distro be for it. i have Ubuntu 7.10 would not boot at all and 6.10 could not get the air port or full rez on the display.
    just try fedora core 7 its pretty basic but should get the job done if not try backtrack 2 and if that dosent work look towards mandrake or debian