Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok....here goes i am VERY new to Linux, so i would really appreciate your help here. I recently received a copy of linux from my CST (computer systems technology) teacher, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Another Dial-Up Problem

ok....here goes

i am VERY new to Linux, so i would really appreciate your help here.

I recently received a copy of linux from my CST (computer systems technology) teacher, it's Ubuntu 6.06. i installed it that night, and found that it couldn't connect to the internet. blah blah blah...Winmodem.

I went to Staples and bought an external modem that connects to a USB port. i bought it because it explicitly stated that it works under Linux, which it does. it had drivers for Linux, which were easy to install.

anyway, Linux can see the modem, but cant connect to the internet. i think the problem may be that I have configured it incorrectly, but I'm not sure.

if there is any additional information you need, just ask, but i would really like to be able to switch to Linux as my primary OS, and the only thing preventing this is my connection issues.

any help would be appreciated.

Just Joined!

Unhappy thanks for the help

not to be impatient or anything, but i was hoping someone could help.

i've searched the forums for other dial-up related issues, but none of them (the ones with the same problem as i have) had a clear reply.

if anyone could help me get my modem working in linux, i'd appreciate it.

You need to tell us what happens when you try to connect.

Presumably you are using Ubuntu's graphical networking tool. How did you configure it?

Check the /var/log/messages file: what relevant messages come up? The more information you give, the easier it will be for someone to help you.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

ok, a little more info

thanks for reply hazel.

ok, here's some more information.

yesterday, i received Ubuntu 7.10, so i am no longer running 6.06.

when i try to connect, i get this message:

"could not enable the interface ppp0. check that the settings are correct for this network and check that the computer is correctly connected to it."

i think i may need to set my IP address, or add a DNS server, but i am not sure how to do this, and i don't now which DNS server to add.

Any help?

Just Joined!
    Hi,

1.If I was you, I would see the modem is working normally or not first.
    "/sbin/lsusb"
    if the modem is working normally, you would see the modem.

2.The second step is running "/sbin/pppoe-setup" as root to config your dial-up parameters.

Cheers,

Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by nogutsnoglory View Post

i think i may need to set my IP address, or add a DNS server, but i am not sure how to do this, and i don't now which DNS server to add.

Any help?
    With dial-up, you don't get a fixed IP address - it's a new one each time. Linux can handle that. The addresses af the DNS servers come down the line along with the IP address when the connection is made but if you need to edit them in anywhere, your ISP can tell you what they are.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    i know the modem is working, because i typed "lsusb", and it sees the modem, and even knows the manufacturer.

do you think i need to contact my ISP to find a DNS server?

Like I said, the dns addresses come down the line once you get your connection working. But your problem seems to be that the ppp0 interface isn't properly configured so you have to concentrate on that for now.

Do you have the the Gnome networking tool? It should be in the System/Administration menu under "networking". When you select it, it will ask for your password and then display a list of available network interfaces. There should be one for ppp0. Highlight it and click on "properties", then enter the data: telephone number, user name, password, which port the modem uses (that can be autodetected), type of phone line (pulse or tone), etc. Then click on "activate" and see what happens.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!

done that

thanks for all your help hazel.

there are 2 network related things unders administration, there's network, and there's network tools. when i go into network, i did all the things that you said, i set the phone number, username, password, ect., but i don't have the option to activate or connect.

when i click autodetect, it can't find the modem, so i type "lsusb" in the terminal and find the usb port the modem is in, then i type the path to the modem in the box that ask where the modem is. is that what i'm doing wrong?

also, ubuntu list the modem as ppp0e, would that be different than ppp0e?

Quote Originally Posted by nogutsnoglory View Post

when i click autodetect, it can't find the modem, so i type "lsusb" in the terminal and find the usb port the modem is in, then i type the path to the modem in the box that ask where the modem is. is that what i'm doing wrong?

also, ubuntu list the modem as ppp0e, would that be different than ppp0e?
    Where does Ubuntu list it as pppoe? pppoe (ppp over ethernet) is the protocol that allows you to contact your isp via broadband using an ethernet card linked to an adsl modem. In that case, the gnome networking tool will show two network interfaces: eth0 and ppp0 which is piggybacked onto it. I believe usb adsl modems work in a similar way (I admit I've never used one).

You said that you were using dial-up; it sounds more to me as though you have an adsl modem. Have a look in your modem manual. If it is adsl, I've been giving you bad advice! You'll need to use pppoeconf to configure it, as Cyrus suggested earlier.
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com