Find the answer to your Linux question:
As most of you guys will most likely be able to tell I'm new to Linux and i really would love to get one. I have heard that all Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Review

As most of you guys will most likely be able to tell I'm new to Linux and i really would love to get one. I have heard that all Linux OSes are free but i think that isn't necessarily true.

Can y'all tell me what y'all think is the best Linux OS, what it features are, and how much it is? Thanks guys.

Hi and Welcome to the LinuxForums !

90% of Linux Distros are free to download. Check distrowatch.com and you find download link of all distros.
    Can y'all tell me what y'all think is the best Linux OS, what it features are, and how much it is?
    We can't tell you which distro is best for you. You should try as many as you can. Check the link in my signature. It will get you going.

Have fun with Linux !
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Deaths But 3 Lives View Post
    Can y'all tell me what y'all think is the best Linux OS, what it features are, and how much it is? Thanks guys.
    The problem with the best distribution concept is that every distro has someone that thinks it's the best, even if it's only the person that put it all together. The trick is for you to try out various distributions and then decide on who you agree with.

Check this "favorite distribution for new linux users" poll for some opinions:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...new-users.html
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Check this "favorite distribution for new linux users" poll for some opinions:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...new-users.html
    This poll is misleading! The best distro is openSUSE. Search for the reviews on the internet. Soon u'll c that SUSE detects most of the hardware automagically, which other distros cant do. Further more it has centralized GUI control system (YAST) that other distros dont have. And etc etc...
    Ubuntu has the highest score just because ppl who use ubuntu never tried other distros.

Quote Originally Posted by void_false View Post
    This poll is misleading! The best distro is openSUSE. Search for the reviews on the internet. Soon u'll c that SUSE detects most of the hardware automagically, which other distros cant do.
    There are two misleading things in this statement. 'Best distro' is a subjective statement as the years of debate have shown. Secondly SUSE misses detection of many devices as they refuse to bundle certain firmwares and proprietary drivers. Philosophical issues aside this instantly puts them behind when compared to many distributions.

Just Joined!
    thanks guys for the advice. i found a site that showed all the most poplar linuxes, but do any of yall know a site that shows everyone (i know that is a ton and probably near to impossible) are one that show a lot of them. thanks again

oz
    forum.guy
    I think DistroWatch lists most of them:

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

There are over 400 of them, but not all are active.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by void_false View Post
    This poll is misleading! The best distro is openSUSE. Search for the reviews on the internet. Soon u'll c that SUSE detects most of the hardware automagically, which other distros cant do. Further more it has centralized GUI control system (YAST) that other distros dont have. And etc etc...
    Ubuntu has the highest score just because ppl who use ubuntu never tried other distros.
    If you're gonna make statements like that, then don't be surprised that you get counters like this one...

SuSE is actually the last distribution I'd ever recommend - even after Linux From Scratch, and for exactly the same reasons you tout it as being the best.

All the major distros have similar hardware recognition facilities - for me Fedora managed to detect and install all the hardware on my laptop. SuSE never did that, because YaST had already stopped me from installing it.

YaST writes its config to intermediate files, so if you edit your config the right way, YaST walks along and blats over your changes. It's pretty obvious that if I changed the config file, I wouldn't want YaST to change it to something else. But it does. This is very similar to the 'Microsoft Knows Best' idiocy in Windows.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I feel like this thread could get out of hand, so I'm locking it. Some good (and bad) advice has been given. Hopefully the original poster can sort it out on their own. If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to start a new thread.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants