Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, i'm install variety of linux distro into my vmware...for newer version of linux such as fedora, most of them already have gui. unfortunately, one of my older linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

redhat - how to install gui

hi all, i'm install variety of linux distro into my vmware...for newer version of linux such as fedora, most of them already have gui. unfortunately, one of my older linux (redhat 6.2) doesn't have it...i wonder how to install gui. thanks

I have never used RH 6.2 and dont know if its pre-installed or not. Execute startx command at prompt and check if GUI loads.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Redhat 6.2 is very old an usupported. If you still want a GUI, you can probably head over to the KDE/Gnome websites and find RPM packages to download for redhat 6.2, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high.
    Good Luck!
    EDIT: I agree with devils_casper, try the startx command first. I know redhat 5.2 had Afterstep and Nextstep by default
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thank you guys...
    i already hit startx command, but the command not found. so i guess it was not installed on my system..

i manage to find gnome on rpmfind.org but there are many version of gnome and i'm not sure which one is suitable for my system

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Red Hat 6.2 shipped with both GNOME and KDE, so they should be available for installation from the discs. The package management at that time was not as good as it is these days and dependencies were a nightmare to resolve, so it may be difficult to install GNOME or KDE on an existing installation. A clean install is a different issue altogether.

Red Hat 6.2 is a bit dated now (I remember using it in 2000), so maybe it would be better for you to look for something more recent. If you have older hardware, you could look for modern/current distros specifically designed for that hardware.

Just Joined!
    thank you guys...i really appreciate for the information given.

after did some reading, then i found a way to change redhat's boot by editing /etc/inittab...

by default, the value is id:3:initdefault for Full multiuser mode..then i change it to 5 (x11) ... however, after i rebooting my system, it seems to be hang like this...

fortunately, i installed this redhat 6.2 on vmware and i can revert it back