Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got an old (1994-95) Ibm 755CE thinkpad with no cdrom. I got Alfalinux on two floppies and started it up. I couldnt find a guide about Alfa for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

alfalinux, laptop, harddrive info.

I just got an old (1994-95) Ibm 755CE thinkpad with no cdrom. I got Alfalinux on two floppies and started it up. I couldnt find a guide about Alfa for the noob, so I don't know all the commands it uses. It (Alfa) runs completely on the memory apparently. I want to find the info of what size hard drive is installed, and what processor is in it. What commands should I use?

Secondly if there is enough room and resources on laptop is it possible to instal something like gentoo with a boot disk and via a serial cable to my main computer? Any tips?

Lastly, is there a better floppy linux distro to use instead of Alfalinux, and if so why???
    Ack!

You should be able to get all that info by perusing the output of dmesg.

A serial connection? Good luck. I've never used one (even back in the day), so I can't help you there.

And I don't know of any other floppy distros.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

i don't know if they exist, but is it perhaps possible to use a serial to ethernet converter of some sort and accress a network. If you can get on the internet in any way then you can install gentoo and most others. I say gentoo, not only because it is amazing, but because you can (during the install) modify it specificaly to fit your systems needs.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    i don't know if they exist, but is it perhaps possible to use a serial to ethernet converter of some sort and accress a network. If you can get on the internet in any way then you can install gentoo and most others. I say gentoo, not only because it is amazing, but because you can (during the install) modify it specificaly to fit your systems needs.
    Hmmm, I wonder if a wireless LAN card would work on this old thing? It has two PCMCIA type two slots. If so, I could try that way at the college I go to.

I would like to try Gentoo, but would install Opera browser instead of what it has. ~I lOvE Opera~ :rock:
    Ack!

Linux Engineer
    use dmesg | cpu for cpu type and man hdparm to see if hdparm gives you information about the hdd...
    Linux For Ever!

you probaly can get a wireless card running on the machine, but your better of (in my mind) buying a ethernet card for the machine and using the wired connection for 3 reasons
    1) generaly faster and more reliable, since a network install will probaly use the network for something like a day or more on something that old, less chance of interruption
    2) i don't know what kind of support the preliminary enviroments offer for wireless configuration (wep, wap etc.) and if your campus network is secure you might have problems.
    3) drivers, w/o a CD drive, there is a good chance that the boot cd has no wireless network drivers
    Should you want to, you probaably could hook up a cd drive and get a wireless card working, but i would strongly suggest a wired solution should you have the choice
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    you probaly can get a wireless card running on the machine, but your better of (in my mind) buying a ethernet card for the machine and using the wired connection for 3 reasons
    1) generaly faster and more reliable, since a network install will probaly use the network for something like a day or more on something that old, less chance of interruption
    2) i don't know what kind of support the preliminary enviroments offer for wireless configuration (wep, wap etc.) and if your campus network is secure you might have problems.
    3) drivers, w/o a CD drive, there is a good chance that the boot cd has no wireless network drivers
    Should you want to, you probaably could hook up a cd drive and get a wireless card working, but i would strongly suggest a wired solution should you have the choice
    Well, I went out and got a PCMCIA card 10/100 ethernet connection, but need to set it up. Then I need to figure out what to get. Apparently Gentoo is too big for my laptop.
    Ack!