Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi folks, I've wanted to start using linux for years, this forum is my first step to finally doing it. Q: i have a dell 8100 laptop that went down ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question newbie wanna be

hi folks, I've wanted to start using linux for years, this forum is my first step to finally doing it. Q: i have a dell 8100 laptop that went down to virus attacks -was my sisters machine, never had a firewall or a/v- it will boot up fine and work, just stumbles now and then, my question is, should i start with a brand new harddrive ? or will one of the linux discs in those magazines install on it ? I want nothing but linux, want the windows xp completely gone. any tips much appreciated. p.s I have a few other computers and want to eventually run all on linux. thanks

Hi bigvoo. Welcome to the forums.

You can use that hard drive, no problem. Linux doesn't really have a memory, so to speak, of what was installed on disk before it. The installer will probably, depending on the distribution, allow you to wipe the entire hard disk before installing so it will be like using a brand new drive without a trace of Windows.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy using Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvoo View Post
    hi folks, I've wanted to start using linux for years, this forum is my first step to finally doing it. Q: i have a dell 8100 laptop that went down to virus attacks -was my sisters machine, never had a firewall or a/v- it will boot up fine and work, just stumbles now and then, my question is, should i start with a brand new harddrive ? or will one of the linux discs in those magazines install on it ? I want nothing but linux, want the windows xp completely gone. any tips much appreciated. p.s I have a few other computers and want to eventually run all on linux. thanks
    I'd look at a couple of distributions (look on distrowatch & these forums).

When you install keep the home area separate and don't let the first version of linux you install hog the whole hard disc - that way you can try other things out and find what suits you best.

Try some of the live CDs as they let you try the system without going through the installation process- and don't ask whats the best distro

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

Unhappy older machine and...

ok, I'm going to install some version of linux this week in this old...p-3 dell laptop. I notice one artical said red hat didnt get along with old dell laptops. I just want a really stripped down (un) ram hungry version of linux to start. thanks for any opinions.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Take a look at the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux. Also, check this poll for favorite distro for older/weaker hardware:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...-hardware.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    How big is the hard drive?

Linux Newbie

re:

giant_slacker its a 40 g. harddrive.