Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to create a router/server using Linux (or anything that will do it well). Could you please advice me which distro will suit my stated bellow needs best? As ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What Linux for a specific router/server

I want to create a router/server using Linux (or anything that will do it well).
    Could you please advice me which distro will suit my stated bellow needs best?

As a router computer must provide internet connection (LAN) to 2 or 3 home machines. It must be able to increase TTL value, support wireless cards (ndwrapper would be useful) and be able to change its MAC address.
    Server will have HDD with a purpose for web gallery Coppermine Photo Galery (php + mysql) so system needs to include sever www (and ftp) supporting those technologies.
    When there is nobody visiting the photo gallery through the WWW, HDD needs to power down to save energy. Therefore system needs to operate from USB stick, CF card or HDD but then it has to load into RAM memory (256MB) and do not touch the disk anymore (unless -someone browses photo gallery) so it can power-down itself.

The matter of automatic power down of the HDD is vital, as this computer needs to use as little energy as possible.

I will be grateful for any suggestions.

Just Joined!
    Hi Lockheed,

I think there would not be a distro could meet your requirements. My suggestion is you may download the uClinux and modify it to meet your requirements, I mean you probably have to make you own "embeded" system by yourself.

Cheers,

Cyrus