Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am trying to install my first linux which is PCLinuxOS. i was able to put it onto a cd and boot it by using LiveCD, then when i clicked ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how do you partition windows?

i am trying to install my first linux which is PCLinuxOS. i was able to put it onto a cd and boot it by using LiveCD, then when i clicked on installation tutor icon, one of the first think i read from it was that i would need to partition windows.

i have an idea of what that means. doesnt it mean that i basically need to download Windows OS onto a cd so that if PCLinuxOS accidentally deletes Windows i will still have it? because i downloaded all of my program files and documents onto a cd but not Windows OS it self. can any one please help me?

oz
    forum.guy
    The PCLinuxOS installer is probably wanting to shrink the Windows partition to make room for installing Linux. If that's what it is, you should be okay to allow it to do that. You might want to make a backup of your Windows install or important files in case anything should go wrong. It would also be a good idea to defragment the Windows partitions before allowing the shrinking to happen.

If you want to dual boot, just don't allow the installer to utilize the entire disk for Linux.
    oz

Just Joined!
    yeah, but how do partition windows? and so what you are saying is that pclinuxos will not delete windows os, it just might delete its files? also, how would you defragment the Windows partitions, and how do you utilize the disk?

thanks guys. i know these are a lot of questions.

oz
    forum.guy
    yeah, but how do partition windows?
    You shouldn't need to do any partitioning of Windows to install Linux, except perhaps to shrink the Windows partition.

and so what you are saying is that pclinuxos will not delete windows os, it just might delete its files?
    The installer shouldn't touch your Windows files unless you direct it to do so.

also, how would you defragment the Windows partitions
    There should be an option in Windows to defragment the hard drive. Look under system management, or system tools. It's been too long for me, so I don't really remember where the option is found.

how do you utilize the disk?
    I was just saying don't let the installer take over the entire drive and use it all for Linux, unless that's what you want.
    oz