Find the answer to your Linux question:
I won't hide the fact that I'm a newb, but I'm hurting my head over all these Linux distributions. I currently have RedHat 9 installed which is ok, but I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

All these distros making my head hurt

I won't hide the fact that I'm a newb, but I'm hurting my head over all these Linux distributions.

I currently have RedHat 9 installed which is ok, but I'm thinking I might be behind the times a litte.

Is Fedora 2 the way forward?

I like the feel of RedHat, but I feel a bit lost with Linux itself. All I really want is an internet connection and MySQL/Apache for testing php scripts. Oh, and I would like a C++ editor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick...

Linux Engineer
    fedora 2 is not supported by redhat anymore.redhat supports the enterprsise editions.in some way fc2 is one step forward than redhat 9.although if you like the feel of rh fedora will like you too.about the c editor you can use kdevelop...
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Thanks,

I will give Fedora a try I think. Just hope I can get my modem working (Speedtouch 330). Took me ages in RedHat 9.

Is there a supplied editor for php? And is it easy to setup Apache?

Thanks.

yeah setting up apache should be easy as it should be installed if you dont tell it not to install it but you will need to add the php module for apache to run php scripts i believe, unless fedora comes with that but i dont think it does. you modem should work fine just do what you did in redhat as fedora is more or less redhat
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux has a C++ editor/compiler built in, kdevelop gives the feel of a .net soultion or a dev-bloodshed compiler, or you can just use a text editor such as emac or vim and then compile via the gcc whitch you will have installed unless you did the most fed up install ever
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I did a full install with RedHat 9 and I have the KDevelop program. Is it purely for C++ or does it work for other languages?

I am going to do a clean install of Fedora 2 tonight hopefully. Give it a whirl.

Thanks.

personly i have only used kdevelop for a little while and for c and c++, but i think that it might have support for anything that gcc does (perl, python, java etc.) but have never tried any of those. personaly I prefer the text editor method because i find it easier to build a program without the KDE project manager interface that i do not understand
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333