Hi,

I'm a fairly new user to Linux (as in, I can use it,but had help setting it up). And I can't figure out this one problem I have had with xlib as well.

When I start a session (using gnome 2.4, Mandrake 9.2) everything works fine. Console commands work, and opening up anything like emacs and what not works fine. After an undetermined time, whether I open something or not, I get the following error, say after trying to open emacs:

Code:
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.
After getting this error once, no new window will open, wether using the menu under mandrake, or by console. I've tried remembering when this happens by seeing what kind of programs I'm running, but as I run a bunch of things at once I don't know what could be causing it. I can, for some reason, still get new windows of firefox, I guess since it was already running. nothin crashes or anything like that.

Other points to know, this wasn't happening before a week ago. I don't really know what I did then, but I was installing a whole bunch of rpms such as ddd and memprof, and also the new firefox 0.9.2. I don't know if any of those might've caused it, but I can't figure out how to fix it.

btw, $display gives:

Code:
echo $DISPLAY
:0.0
Let me know what else you need to help me! Thanks

I tried searching for this error and responses on the boards, but couldn't find something exactly as my problem (isn't that just great?).

I also thought I'd add this error. I forget when this one started popping up, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong with my system, so I ignored it...

Code:
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
This one pops up every login session in a window while Gnome is starting up.

~tk[/code]