Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi, I know that I'm supposed to do lots of research before i ask a question in this forum, but I'm really sorry- i've tried to search for answers to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

is linux for me?

hi,
    I know that I'm supposed to do lots of research before i ask a question in this forum, but I'm really sorry- i've tried to search for answers to my questions, but my internet is slow and i don't get much time on it so i can't find answers.
    I got a new laptop last week (gericom with pentium 4) and the microsoft xp in it is all in german. i want to change over to english, but microsoft, wanting to rip me off, would make me pay for the full price of xp again. because of that, i've decided to check out linux operating systems. i have no idea about them really, just that many people say that they're better and cheaper than windows. since i'm broke after buying the laptop, i was wondering if i could get a linux operating system at a good enough price, but since i don't have much experience in computers (I am nowhere near a computer programmer, although i have quite a lot of experience with computers), I'm scared to risk losing any hope of having an operating system on my computer!
    i use a lot of freeware that i download from the internet, such as musicmatch jukebox, winstars, msn messenger. is there an equivalent of such programmes available to download for free through linux? also, i use aol, so would i still be able to use it on linux? I live in ireland and germany part-time, I don't think that linux is very popular, especially in Ireland.
    Thank you so much for all of your help,
    sorry for being such a pain,
    grainne

Linux Newbie
    my personal recomendation would be to go check out distrowatch.com. it gives info on most of the distros. read a little and you can deside.

if you want to make a low level commitement try out a cd bootable distro. this way you don't actually have to install it onto your hd, so if you don't like linux you can just take the cd out.

I don't know about the AOL, but linux sounds right up your ally, if you have computer experiance with no programming thats ok, many of the newer distros rarely touch on terminal stuff. what are you mainly going to be using this for? If word processing (openoffice) and instant messaging (gaim supports msn) I've never heard of winstars, but xine is a great multimedia player, and xmms will do just fine as well. I wouldn't worry about a lack of programming skills, look at mandrake 10, a personal favorate. Most distro's are free with the exception of linspire (almost windows clone, but cost significantly less and runs on linux kernel) But several sites offer the install CD's for 2.85 us plus shipping. if you have a broadband connection download knoppix and try it out (doesn't need to be installed, just boots from CD) if you think that the interface is easy enough to learn and use, then give a distro a try.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    You can connect to aol without using their browser

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-l...en/table.shtml
    Here is a list of windows-linux programs, most, if not all of the linux ones are free/open source.

My chosen distro, by the way, is SuSE. Which I recommend if you are looking for a ridiculously easy install and good compatibility with hardware etc. Try a live cd first, that way you can find out if linux really is for you without putting anything at risk, most distros do them.

Just Joined!

thanks!

thanks for your help, i am currently looking up distrowatch and knoppix right now.
    there are so many diffent distros its very confusing! basically i want a cheap os that is very user-friendly, and maybe looks pretty 'cause i'm a shallow person!
    if you have a cdrom (such as a pc game) can you use it on linux, or must it be made specifically for linux? i have a kodak digital camera and a dvd burner but i'm scred that i won't be able to use them with linux. also, the internet provider that i use in ireland most likely has never heard of linux, so i'm scared that i wouldn't be able to use it there.
    anyway, thanks again for your help!
    grainne

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloud
    You can connect to aol without using their browser
    can you? how, because i hate their browser!

Dont worry about the dvd burner, lots of drivers and programs support that, im not so sure about the camera, the linux archive is pretty expansive, if you just want to mount the camera as a drive, then that should be easy, but the softwar bundle that comes with the camera is unliekly to run without a windows emulator such a wine
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    the camera is unliekly to run without a windows emulator such a wine
    i'm sorry, what is wine? where can i find more information on it? i did a search of this message board but i didn't find much about it, just references to it. thanks!

Just Joined!
    www.winehq.com

I'll dig up the AOL - nasty browser tutorial in a second. Just another plug for suse, it is damned easy and looks really pretty :P

Linux Engineer
    grainne, might be useful

http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast