Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have two issues. 1. I tried to install Penggy (I know AOL is bad, but I need it). I recieved a message that the install failed due to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Penggy/Hpijs

Hi,

I have two issues.

1. I tried to install Penggy (I know AOL is bad, but I need it). I recieved a message that the install failed due to the lack of two dependencies...

libgthreads.so.6 and libguile.so.6

I know these are files which are related to guile. I have guile 1.6 These files are with an older version of guile. Should I downgrade guile (if so how do I do this) or is there another solution.

When I try to install with the --nodeps option I get an error starting tun (any ideas?).

2. I have a HP PSC 1210 printer. It is not currently listed in the driver list. I tried to update hpijs to a newer version (does anyone know how to detect the current version?) but I recieved errors on teh following dependencies...

libstdc++.so.6
    libstdc++.so.6(CXXAB1_1.3)
    libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4)

Also I recieved this error message

foomatic < 3.0.0-14 confilicts with hpijs-1.6-2

If you respond to this question please be very detailed. I am a complete newbie to linux. Thanks.

Ryan

Linux Newbie
    which distro are you using?

check to see if those libraries exist with locate filename. you might have to do 'su -c locate -u' first to update your db. if they do in fact exist then they might be a different location from where the program is looking. if this is the fact then you could make a symbolic link where it is looking to the actualy file. 'ln -a [source file] [target file]' would make the symbolic link. sometimes you can make a symbolic link with the newer ones to the older ones, but again, sometimes.

if you are using cups with foomatic, then if you were to type http://localhost:631 it will give you a nice interface for configuring your printer. you can check which port cups is on by using 'nmap localhost' or 'nmap 127.0.0.1'.

this site might be of help too http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic.html.

good luck with that.

I would recommend installing the aol program with one of the installers that automaticaly handles all dependancies (apt-get, yum, emerde) It all depends on your distro witch one you use, but those should handle most of your problems
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333