Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to Linux but I played with Red Hat like 5 years ago and not a day since and I am tired of my computer not running right ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Mint 4.0 Live CD

I am new to Linux but I played with Red Hat like 5 years ago and not a day since and I am tired of my computer not running right so I want to get ride of windows but I need to get linux up and running and get my wife used to it. So heres my delima.

I just downloaded Linux Mint 4.0 and burnt it onto a CD. Then I booted my computer up and got the intitail screen and choose "start Linux Mint". It starts and the bar sways from side to side then goes to the next screen where the box pops up and it starts to load the individual items then on the third one where its configuring my screen setting it stops and goes to a blank screen; I tried to boot it in safe mode and it said that it couldnt config my screen but says nothing on the normal mode.

Any help will be apreciated. Ive searched the forums and google for this problem and had no luck what so ever.

And thank you in advanced for the help.

Charles

Sounds like a video problem. What kind of display card does your computer have? Linux Mint is basically just a repackaged version of Ubuntu, so if you can't get it to work you might consider using the non-graphical "Alternate" install disc of Ubuntu:

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

What are the other hardware specs on your target computer? RAM? CPU? Harddrive space?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You could try experimenting with the kernel boot options available to you through the F-keys right before the CD begins to boot into the Linux system.

Like techieMoe says, it sounds like a video issue, so look closely at the options related to video resolution and/or vertical/horizontal sync.
    oz

Just Joined!
    CD and DVD Drives
    SONY DVD RW DRU-830A (7/1/2001)

Floppy Drive Upgrade
    Floppy disk drive (7/1/2001)

Floppy Drive Controller
    Standard floppy disk controller (7/1/2001)

Hard Drive Controllers
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (7/1/2001)
    Primary IDE Channel (7/1/2001)
    Secondary IDE Channel (7/1/2001)

Hard Drives Upgrade
    WDC WD800BB-55JKC0 (7/1/2001)

Input Devices Upgrade
    Microsoft PS/2 Mouse (7/1/2001)
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard (7/1/2001)

Media
    Creative Technology Creative AudioPCI (ES1371 (7/1/2001)

Modem Upgrade
    Gateway Data Fax Modem (7/1/2001)

Ports
    ECP Printer Port (LPT1) (7/1/2001)
    Communications Port (COM1) (7/1/2001)

System
    AMD-751 Processor to AGP Controller (7/1/2001)
    AMD-756 Power Management Controller (7/1/2001)
    Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System (7/1/2001)
    PCI standard host CPU bridge (7/1/2001)
    PCI standard ISA bridge (7/1/2001)
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC (7/1/2001)

Universal Serial Bus (USB) Upgrade
    Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) AMD 756 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (7/1/2001)
    USB Root Hub (7/1/2001)

Unknown
    Ethernet Controller

Video Upgrade
    ATI Technologies ATI 3D RAGE LT PRO (6/6/2001)
    Default Monitor (6/6/2001)

Just Joined!
    How Could I Change The Video Card Drivers?

When And What F Key Should I Hit Befor The Cd Boots; And Would This Let Me Change Any Options?

Also Is The Cd Suposed To Check My Video Card And Select The Right Drivers To Run; And Does It Just Does Not The Right Drivers, Because Its Able To Load The The First Screen But It Just Goes Blank With A White Bar At The Bottom.

I've Requested A Version Of Ubuntu From The Distro And Its Supposed To Come Soon, Do You Think That That Might Work Better Or Do You Think That It Will Have The Same Effect Since Its The Same Distro For The Most Part?

Thanks Again For You Responding With My Help; I Just Dont Know How To Do Anything To Linux To Change Anything.

At this point I would recommend you download the Ubuntu "Alternate" ISO and boot with that. Your ATI RAGE card is more than likely what's causing Linux Mint to freeze up. You can install Ubuntu non-graphically with the Alternate disc and set up your video later.

Quote Originally Posted by CCAIN6205 View Post
    How Could I Change The Video Card Drivers?
    Once you get your system installed, edit a file called /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Look for a section called "Device" similar to this:

Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier  "ATI Rage XL"
        Driver      "vesa"
        BusID      "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection
    Change the "Driver" line to say "vesa" if it doesn't already.

When And What F Key Should I Hit Befor The Cd Boots; And Would This Let Me Change Any Options?
    That depends on your computer. Different motherboard manufacturers use different keys. Usually a message will display like "Hit F8 to enter setup." Most motherboards use either F8 or DELETE.

Also Is The Cd Suposed To Check My Video Card And Select The Right Drivers To Run; And Does It Just Does Not The Right Drivers, Because Its Able To Load The The First Screen But It Just Goes Blank With A White Bar At The Bottom.
    Not necessarily. Most LiveCDs just load the generic "vesa" or "vga" drivers for their installer. Linux Mint might be trying to load the open-source "radeon" driver for your card, which would cause the freezing problem if your card isn't properly supported.

I've Requested A Version Of Ubuntu From The Distro And Its Supposed To Come Soon, Do You Think That That Might Work Better Or Do You Think That It Will Have The Same Effect Since Its The Same Distro For The Most Part?
    Linux Mint is functionally identical to Ubuntu. The main difference is the way it looks, and Linux Mint comes with MP3 support out of the box. You can download that ability in Ubuntu, however. Did you specifically request the Alternate CD? If you didn't, you're likely going to run into the same video problem.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thank you all I will try to download the alternate version of linux and try to get the video card to work; I will definatly be coming back if I have anymore questions which is very likly and then when I am good I will try to help others like you are helping me, and again thank you and I will keep you posted with the progress.

Thanks,
    Charles