Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently troubleshooting a problem I am having with Mozilla. I wanted to upgrade my version of Mozilla from 1.4 to 1.7 (current version) I did some research and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uninstall / Install Mozilla question

I am currently troubleshooting a problem I am having with Mozilla.

I wanted to upgrade my version of Mozilla from 1.4 to 1.7 (current version)

I did some research and found only a selective few sites where they offered assistance. They all said to just remove the mozilla dir.

So I did.

But I can still open mozilla and use it.

Next I downloaded mozilla version 1.7 and followed the directions installing it under /usr/local/mozilla

I can run the ./mozilla command to open the new 1.7 browser now but only from within that directory. If i run /mozilla from any other directory it opens up the old version 1.4

Im a bit confused and I tried deleting my task bar icon of mozilla that I had and replacing it with a new one. I can not find that icon anymore.

If someone has a clue (unlike myself) on whats going on and how I can fix it, please point me in the right direction.

I also wanted to ask what troubleshooting steps can I take to resolve this type of issue later on? I am a good at troubleshooting windows OS but im still quite new to Linux. I really wanted to fix this issue on my own but I am completly stumped.

Thank You

P.S
    I am running Slackware 9.1

Linux User
    Next time don't remove the directory, change into the directory where you build the source and run make uninstall, that will remove everything. As for right now, copy the mozilla executable from the new directory to /usr/bin. that will replace the old one.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    Next time don't remove the directory, change into the directory where you build the source and run make uninstall, that will remove everything. As for right now, copy the mozilla executable from the new directory to /usr/bin. that will replace the old one.

Thanks for the reply.

I went to my /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla directory

Found the mozilla shell script file (1 file)

copied that file to the /usr/bin and replaced it with the current one there.

It prompt me if I wanted to overwrite.. i selected yes.

Now when I type #mozilla in the Konsole nothing happens.

When I click on the mozilla shell in the new directory i just moved it to (/usr/bin) it does nothing.

I can only open Mozilla from the original directory (/usr/local/mozilla/mozilla) where it was installed.

But its still not working correctly

Good news though, it dont see it opening up the older version anymore, only the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    Next time don't remove the directory, change into the directory where you build the source and run make uninstall, that will remove everything.
    Are you be talking about the directory I downloaded the new version to and then ran the #tar -zxvf "filename" command? So the directory where I build the source could be any directory I choose?

Forgive me for asking such questions, I just hit the wall about an hour ago and Im completely lost.

Any more assistance would be great!

Thank You

P.S
    I think slackware is one of the best OS ive ever worked on. I really wish I did not know so little about it.

Just Joined!

Normal

If you use a Slackware distro not touch the Mozilla directories, only uninstall the old mozilla with removepkg, then install the new Mozilla package with installpkg the best way if using the .tgz native packages, link to http://www.linuxpackages.net and download the last software for slackware, for me, is more better that compile software or install with other method.

It's only "my way", good luck dude.

Just Joined!

Re: Normal

Quote Originally Posted by Radiant
    If you use a Slackware distro not touch the Mozilla directories, only uninstall the old mozilla with removepkg, then install the new Mozilla package with installpkg the best way if using the .tgz native packages, link to http://www.linuxpackages.net and download the last software for slackware, for me, is more better that compile software or install with other method.

It's only "my way", good luck dude.
    Thank You