Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I installed Red hat Linux 7.x, and having problems loging in. May be i am trying with wrong root password. How i can i reset my root p/w. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Password problem

Hi all,

I installed Red hat Linux 7.x, and having problems loging in. May be i am trying with wrong root password.

How i can i reset my root p/w. I think i have to go to run level 1 for this. Can somebody help me in steps or any link which would tell me to go to runlevel 1 and resetting the p/w

Also after i boot i get the command prompt for logging in; but not the GUI.
    How to configure this ?

Linux Engineer
    Firt off.. redhat7.0 is fairly antiquated nowadays.. i sugest upgrading to a newer version or better yet install a different distro (I.E gentoo).

You will need to boot from a live cd or some such other system to alter the root password. try knoppix for that. when you have the root cd you can chroot the root partition of the hard disk and from there type passwd to alter the password.

As for getting xfree set up I would sugest that you will have better luck with a newer distro than redhat 7

Just Joined!

Post subject: Password problem

First, try single user. Boot the PC. If you don't see either a LILO or GRUB boot screen, try hitting CTRL-X to get one. If it's LILO, just type "linux single" and that should do it (assuming that "linux" is the lilo label). If GRUB, hit 'e", then select the "kernel" line, hit "e" again, and add " single" (or just " 1") to the end of the line. Press ENTER, and then "b" to boot.

You should get a fairly normal looking boot sequence except that it terminates a little early at a bash prompt.

Type su, this should give you superuser access

at do:

mount -o remount,rw /

If that doesn't work (it might not), just type " mount" without the quotes to find out where "/" is mounted. Let's say it is on /dev/sda2. You'd then type:

mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda2

If you can do this, just type "passwd"

And then you can change your password.

If you are not getting X after boot. At the prompt type startx
    This will boot you into the GUI.