Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You would need two ethernet cards in the routing box and a switch behind the Linux box to allow for multiple connections. As far as programs, all you need is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

You would need two ethernet cards in the routing box and a switch behind the Linux box to allow for multiple connections. As far as programs, all you need is iptables (kernel modules). You can use a gui frontend to config it, but I'm not sure what is available as far as that is concerned.
    okay i am a bit confused.
    I will have a total of three computers. My WinXP box, wife's laptop, and Linux box. Two ethernet cards in the Linux box, and a hub behind it.

Correct?

yes, but use a switch, not a hub.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Yeah, a switch is like a hub, but faster.

The main difference I've found (wait, I mean, the only difference I have found) is with a hub it sends information to port 1 then waits for a reply, if there is no reply it sends information to port 2 then waits for a reply, etc, etc, until the desired computer responds. A switch broadcasts the information to all ports then the desired computer responds. (I mean, not ports on the computers, here ports == the physical plugs on the hub/switch)

That is all I've been able to discern between a switch and a hub -and I've really looked. So, a switch is better than a hub. However, I get this nagging feeling there must be more differences between a hub and a switch, anyone know?

Another difference i know of, when multiple computers are connected via a switch, they can all broadcast at the same time, a hub only lets one at at time, so basicaly another variety of yours, that is the main difference, but it is a big one.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Is a switch the same thing as a router?
    If so I could get a wireless router...
    If not is there such a thing as a wireless switch?

If your going wireless, excelnt, just avoid things with the word 'hub' how large is this network going to be? you cold do a switch, and a separate wirelesss access point, but its probably cheaper and easier to do an all in one solution.

Formerly Known as qub333

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2