Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello Everyone!, I am new here, and to linux. I am sure you all will help me make my experience with Linux enjoyable! Well I just upgraded several parts on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux as Router/Firewall

Hello Everyone!,
    I am new here, and to linux. I am sure you all will help me make my experience with Linux enjoyable!
    Well I just upgraded several parts on my computer and will soon have enough left over parts to make a decent second computer. I currently use Windows XP Pro and my wife's laptop has the same. I would like to use Mandrake 10 or Fedora on my new computer to use it as a router/firewall. Is software to accomplish this task readily available with both of the linux distributions i mentioned? Could anyone give me some hints, ideas, or URLs that specifically address this issue?

Thanks,
    Nick

Both will do as you need very nicely and as you are new to linux,both distros would be great choices. I would personaly recommend Mandrake, becasue my personal experiance with them has been very good, and far faster that that with fedora. Another distro to look at might be clark connect, a distribution specificaly tailored to routing and firewall/gateway services, but im not sure the level of experiance it requires. While you are deciding on a distro, http://www.distrowatch.com will be handy. If you have questions feel free to keep adding post, this is a very active community.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

If the machine is acting exclusively as a router/firewall you might want to take a look at IPCop

Quote Originally Posted by Darl
    If the machine is acting exclusively as a router/firewall you might want to take a look at IPCop
    Or Smoothwall
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    what hardware would I need to accomplish this?

Just two PCI Ethernet Cards?

What programs are used with Mandrake or Fedora to accomplish this?

By the way, I am pretty set on using one of these two distros.
    I want to use it for more than just its firewall/router capabilities.

Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nju0843
    what hardware would I need to accomplish this?

Just two PCI Ethernet Cards?

What programs are used with Mandrake or Fedora to accomplish this?

By the way, I am pretty set on using one of these two distros.
    I want to use it for more than just its firewall/router capabilities.

Thanks,
    Nick
    You would need two ethernet cards in the routing box and a switch behind the Linux box to allow for multiple connections. As far as programs, all you need is iptables (kernel modules). You can use a gui frontend to config it, but I'm not sure what is available as far as that is concerned.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Agree IPCop is great for a standalone router/firewall its all configured from your browser and takes about 15 mins to install. I like version 1.5.0 although its a beta the UI is much better.

I'm going to be configuring something like this too, but I am not yet to understand the advantages of having a router box over a router, I have the ethernet cards, and the cables, and since i will only have one computer behind the router at first, i wont need the switch yet, but i just want to know what the advantages of a computer acting as a router over a router itself. I would run gentoo on it because ... well we all know gentoo is the best .

There functionaly the same just with a hw router you are stuck with what you have got but with a linux software router you can customize things and such.

Just Joined!

Gentoo is the best vs linux router

Hi necrocyde,

How do you say that Gentoo is the best if don't understand the advantages of a Linux router/ip based firewall!?

... little strange, don't you think!?

With common routers the configuration capability will stay at beginner level and most of those routers use all_or_nothing rules to allow/block ip packets.

With a Linux router you can set up ip-based rules to control your incoming and outgoing network activity and many more...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast