Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to put up a FTP server for people inside and outside of my company to be able to access from both the Internet and our intranet. Problem is, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which FTP service should I use?

I want to put up a FTP server for people inside and outside of my company to be able to access from both the Internet and our intranet. Problem is, there's a lot of choices and I'm not sure which one to choose. My requirements are that the FTP service be secure, reliable, have a lot of good supporting documentation, and free.

Here are the ones I have done a little reading up on:

vsftpd
    pure-ftpd
    proftpd
    ncftp
    lftp

Personally, I like what I am reading about pure-ftpd as it states what kind of encryption it does and has a lot of data on the website.

Ideally, I would like it to also have auditing built into it so I can track who is doing what on the server. I understand this probably isn't built in and requires a separate download, but if anyone has suggestions on that as well I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Linux User
    I have pure-ftpd on all of my servers, linked through a mysql database for virtual users/bandwidth management/disk quotas. I just find it easy to use, and I've heard of proftpd being slow to log into at times. Although I think proftpd has slightly better/more logging than pure-ftpd, which unfortunately means it uses more RAM. I haven't had much to do with vsftpd other than a bit of a play with it a year or so ago so can't really comment there.

I'd probably suggest to try them all on some spare boxen if you can, pure-ftpd is just my personal choice.

Just Joined!

reply for which FTP service i use

hi u can use smtp for sending mail and pop3 for receving mail.
    but pls u check out properly.

Regards
    Rahul Gautam