I'm a Linux noob but required a Linux server to act as a NAS for VMware LabManager. So I loaded Oracle Unbreakable Linux (4.2.1. and had everything setup and working ok. But I needed some more disk space so decided to add another hard disk and went poking around looking for a way to extend my original partition as you would with windows (told you I was a noob).

I found the LVM but quickly felt out of my depth and backed out, thinking I'd made no changes to anything. I thought I'd put the additional space idea on hold. But yesterday I needed to restart the server and to my horror it would not come back up giving

Couldn’t find device with UID ……..
Couldn’t find all physical volumes for volume group VolGroup00
VolGroup00 not found
Bin/lvm exited abnormally
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting noe
switchroot: mountfailed:22
umount /initrd/dev failed:2
Kernal panic -not syncing: Attempted to kill init

I noticed that the second hard disk I had added was no longer working (scsi card was not even detecting it). I changed the disk for a new one but still got the same error.

I freely admit being way out of my depth and I'm not sure if I've created this volume group without meaning too, the disk has just failed or a combination of both.

I've done some searching but I have zero depth of knowledge on Linux so it's hard to understand a lot of my findings.

I found what I believe to be a similar issue with a resolution suggestion to remove the physical devices that are considered unknown.

vgreduce --removemissing VolGroup00

However, whether I try to run this from the command prompt or having booted in rescue mode I get 'unknown command' does anyone know where I can run this command from, do I have to switch into another folder or something?

Any advice greatfully received as I have loads on VMs stored on this server and really need to get access.