Find the answer to your Linux question:
Has anyone used virtualbox I am new to Linux and I was wondering if anyone has had good results using virtualbox on a XP computer running Ubuntu or some other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

virtualbox on XP OS

Has anyone used virtualbox I am new to Linux and I was wondering if anyone has had good results using virtualbox on a XP computer running Ubuntu or some other version of linux.
    Any suggestions on what Linux distr to start with?

I really donít want to go to a dual boot system.

VirtualBox has worked pretty well for me on Linux hosts though I have never tried it on a Windows host. It's a pretty nice open source equivalent to VMware. Check here for which distribution you should run.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by guy40az View Post
    Any suggestions on what Linux distr to start with?

I really donít want to go to a dual boot system.
    Check the link in my signature. You'll find some links there for quizzes that should help you to pick a distribution.

Have fun with Linux...
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by guy40az View Post
    Has anyone used virtualbox I am new to Linux and I was wondering if anyone has had good results using virtualbox on a XP computer running Ubuntu or some other version of linux.
    I use VirtualBox on my XP machine at work. It's pretty nice, and you can't beat free. I've run Ubuntu and Linux Mint on it with no problems.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

One other thing I wanted to mention about virtualization: you don't really get the full experience of a distro in a virtualized environment. It's nice, you pick up the basics, how the distro looks and feels but in terms of performance, I've always felt it's best to install it on a physical device and see how it does. There are things that go unnoticed in a virtual machine that won't pop up until you've actually installed it on your machine.

Just a thought.