Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all! I am not new to Linux, but the past few years have kept me on Windows *sigh* I am eager to get back into the swing of things, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up Best modern Linux distro for text mode?

Hi all!

I am not new to Linux, but the past few years have kept me on Windows *sigh*

I am eager to get back into the swing of things, but I imagine a lot has changed since my good old days...

I am looking for the best Linux distro that is simple and easy to use, like the old Redhat I got used to, but doesn't force me to boot right into graphical mode. I want to boot into text, then have the option of going GUI by typing xwindows or something like that.

Any tips or pointers for somebody like me?

I appreciate it!!

Mr. Penguin

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

here is a way to choose the best distro for you

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome back to Linux!

Check that link provided by Tutku. There are some quizzes there that should help you to decide on a distro.

You can set any of the distributions to boot into text mode rather than GUI if you want.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    You guys have got it all figured out... I appreciate it!

Glad to be back... it looks like Ubuntu may be the route for me...

Thanks!
    Mr. Penguin

Linux Newbie
    I took that test a while back and found I personally didn't like the distros that it gave back as ones I should like, so I'm going to go through the trouble of posting for you.

I'd say anything on the distrowatch top thirty or so should be worth a look. It all comes down to what you like.

You can't go wrong with Ubuntu just because so many guys are using it. I would personally start with Linux Mint, which is Ubuntu with a few extras, Ubuntu "done right" if you will, but not that Ubuntu is bad. Ubuntu is all about user friendliness though. I find it a little too much so, and the more I use gnome the more I find I don't like it. Ubuntu's whole goal is that you shouldn't have to ever use the terminal. You should be able to turn Ubuntu into whatever you want though thanks to it's very large forum community.

I personally enjoy Slackware for the desktop aka something like Vector Linux. I'm still running VectorLinux 5.1.1 SOHO. It's showing some age, but it's done me proud for the past 2 years or so. If you like xfce, Zenwalk is another good "Slackware for the desktop" distros to take a look at or the almost gold VectorLinux 5.9 Standard edition (I'm waiting for the KDE SOHO edition myself). CentOS is a free-as-in-money RedHat clone, compiled from RH source, so perhaps that could be a familiar starting ground for you?

Hope this helps. Though I know you aren't a newbie, the secret to liking Linux is finding the distro what clicks with you. Just keep looking until you find it.

Best Regards,

DrCR

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCR View Post
    I took that test a while back and found I personally didn't like the distros that it gave back as ones I should like, so I'm going to go through the trouble of posting for you.

I'd say anything on the distrowatch top thirty or so should be worth a look. It all comes down to what you like.

You can't go wrong with Ubuntu just because so many guys are using it. I would personally start with Linux Mint, which is Ubuntu with a few extras, Ubuntu "done right" if you will, but not that Ubuntu is bad. Ubuntu is all about user friendliness though. I find it a little too much so, and the more I use gnome the more I find I don't like it. Ubuntu's whole goal is that you shouldn't have to ever use the terminal. You should be able to turn Ubuntu into whatever you want though thanks to it's very large forum community.

I personally enjoy Slackware for the desktop aka something like Vector Linux. I'm still running VectorLinux 5.1.1 SOHO. It's showing some age, but it's done me proud for the past 2 years or so. If you like xfce, Zenwalk is another good "Slackware for the desktop" distros to take a look at or the almost gold VectorLinux 5.9 Standard edition (I'm waiting for the KDE SOHO edition myself). CentOS is a free-as-in-money RedHat clone, compiled from RH source, so perhaps that could be a familiar starting ground for you?

Hope this helps. Though I know you aren't a newbie, the secret to liking Linux is finding the distro what clicks with you. Just keep looking until you find it.

Best Regards,

DrCR
    Wow, I appreciate the post... thank you!

I like the GUI end of Ubunutu, but like you said, it's geared towards user-friendliness. I am so very sold on the text mode, but once in a while I like the go GUI. I loved the old RedHat systems that would give you the option of booting to text or gui when you were installing. I could fire up the server, issue my commands, do my work, and then startx would fire up GUI so I could browse the web or something. That's the way I like it!

I appreciate your input.. I will look at those other distros!

Mr. Penguin

Just Joined!
    If you like RH, think about CentOS - it's basically RHEL unbadged. Fedora is more bleeding edge and less stable (I run both btw)