Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, So I am back due to I am currently having some very noobish problems, please forgive me = So the problem that I am having is I dont ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to compile Etc. in Kubuntu?

Hey everyone, So I am back due to I am currently having some very noobish problems, please forgive me =

So the problem that I am having is I dont know how to compile a driver to work for my Wireless Lan Card. I downloaded the drivers but when i click on the files it just opens them up and shows the scripts or whatever, how would i go about compiling them to work?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Most tarballs (tarred archives) have a readme file with instructions on how to install it. Clicking on a package is not the normal way to install software on Linux.

Yes, I would follow the readme instruction as well.

For future reference, compiling usually goes as followed (type this into the terminal).

./configure
    make
    make install

If it can't install, you'll usually have one of two problems. 1) You don't have a compiler installed. Should this be the case type: "sudo apt-get install gcc", wait for it to install and try again. 2) You don't have a program/library that is needed in which case you need to install those missing components via "sudo apt-get install package_name"

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's a HowTo covering some of the various ways to install software under Linux:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html

When you can do so, it's usually better to use the default package manager/tool provided by the distribution that you are using. Tarballs are sometimes a necessity, but that is probably the most difficult package installation path for new Linux users.
    oz

Linux User
    My questions aren't about compiling. They are about getting your Wireless Lan Card to work.

1) What is the make and model of your computer?
    2) Which distro are you using?
    3) What kind of Wireless Lan Card do you have? PCMIA? USB? What is the make and model?

I don't think Kubuntu has the tools needed to compile by default. you need to install them.

Type:
    apt-get install build-essential

Or install with the graphical Add/Remove feature in the menu.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Quote Originally Posted by arochester View Post
    My questions aren't about compiling. They are about getting your Wireless Lan Card to work.

1) What is the make and model of your computer?
    2) Which distro are you using?
    3) What kind of Wireless Lan Card do you have? PCMIA? USB? What is the make and model?
    1. I am using a Linksys WMP54G
    2. Kubuntu 'Gutsy Gibbon'
    3. PCI

Edit: Still haven't gotten it working at all but thanks everyone for your wonderful help on compiling,

Quote Originally Posted by Zspitfire04 View Post
    1. I am using a Linksys WMP54G
    2. Kubuntu 'Gutsy Gibbon'
    3. PCI

Edit: Still haven't gotten it working at all but thanks everyone for your wonderful help on compiling,
    I have that card. I got it working in regular Ubuntu by installing the ndiswrapper packages off the Ubuntu disc (I forget the actual names, something like "ndiswrapper-core" and "ndiswrapper-utils"). Then I copied the .INF and .SYS files from my Windows driver CD, opened up a terminal and typed:

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    Something said the driver was installed. I then wrote the configuration with:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    I then made sure it was installed by listing:

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -l
    And rebooted.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Have a look at "WifiDocs/LinksysWPC54G" on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi.../LinksysWPC54G