Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, trying to install Xububtu from the dvd now. I defraged and backed up xp before i started...basically, it's an 80 gig HD, with almost nothing on it...78% free. but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

partitioin/install

ok, trying to install Xububtu from the dvd now. I defraged and backed up xp before i started...basically, it's an 80 gig HD, with almost nothing on it...78% free. but when i got to the partition part of the install, it's saying only 8 meg. free ? the auto install on the dvd is only for wiping the disc completly--I want to dual boot for the moment-- do the partitions have to be done in xp before I do the xbuntu install ? this is my last hurtle. thanks for any help...and i am reading all the faqs, but just still don't quite get this part of it.

Try the GParted CD or PartedMagic CD - link to GParted GParted LiveCD 0.3.4-10 - Linux Downloads Directory

I think it sounds like you only have one partition. What you need to do is use the above posted program to create a new partition with space on it so that you can install your linux to that.

Boot up from Xubuntu DVD or GParted CD, open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.

Or
    Boot up Windows and type diskmgmt.msc in Run Dialog box. Post partition structure here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    The actual partition size is really up to the individual user as long as they are big enough to hold all data that will need to be stored on them. I usually setup my own partitions something like this:

Code:
    / (about 8 to 12 GB, ext3)
    swap (about 512 MB, swap)
    /home (about 8 to 12 GB, ext3)
    I usually don't bother with creating a separate /boot partition.

You don't have to create a separate /home partition, but doing so can have some benefits.
    oz

Linux Newbie

catch 22 ?

ok thanks every one, thing is, tell me if Im wrong, I just read that you can't actually USE gparted from the dvd...but the whole reason I need gparted is to install xbunutu :$ so, what amI not understaning here ? 2. heck at this point: if i can run itunes from ubuntu, im just gonna wipe that dang windows right out... does any one here use itunes ? I know it said i can listen to my ipod from a ubuntu client, but can i actually install and run the itunes/quiktime from it ?
    3. and I just read there is a video editing program being worked on... if that pans out, I have absolutly no reason to have vista on the other machine either. when i get home, im gonna try to get this thing installed if it kills me...or I mean kills windos :P

oz
    forum.guy
    You can use the PartedMagic LiveCD for working with your partitions. Gparted is included on the disk and can be used for formating, expanding, shrinking, deleting, etc.

It's a small download, quick burn to CD, and is very easy to use.
    oz

Linux Newbie

re:

ok I got parted magic burned onto a c.d, but i ended up spending all my time last night, putting xbuntu on an old dell laptop, that had a non-booting hard drive... it sounded like a car crash, all the clunks and pops. but it installed and is working perfectly, so tonight back to trying to partition the desktop: one thing, it will not let me even look at the diskmgnt.msc in run. in windows, so hopefully parted magic will make it work, thanks all.