Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all. I've just upgraded to FC2 (from RH9), mostly for the purpose of obtaining a pre-configured 2.6.x kernel. I have a 128Mb USB flash drive, which I used to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Adding Permenant FSTAB Entry

Hi all.
    I've just upgraded to FC2 (from RH9), mostly for the purpose of obtaining a pre-configured 2.6.x kernel. I have a 128Mb USB flash drive, which I used to use in rh 9 by editing /etc/fstab to include this line
    Code:
    /dev/sda1     /mnt/usb     vfat     noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    I created the /mnt/usb directory as root in FC2 (
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/usb
    ) and also edited /etc/fstab to include the above line. When I open the user mount tool in KDE (as a regular user) the usb drive has not been added. I can mount it as root, and then access it, which is no problem for now. However, when I reboot or simply unmount the drive, I can't re-mount it using
    Code:
    mount /mnt/usb
    , and my new line has disappeared from fstab. Also, the directory /mnt/usb seems to disappear after reboot. Am I missing something ??
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Check your logs and rc scripts for something editing/changing the /etc/fstab.

There's another post on the forums with a similar problem, but I don't know if we figured out why his conf files were getting rewritten or not.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    Thanks sarumont. I had tried searching the forums with no luck. It seems I was using too specific search terms A search for fstab yielded a couple good fields. I'm not at my home (read: linux) computer right now, so I'll have to wait to try a few fixes.
    N3WO

let us know, but in the meantime, consider a ssh solution, can be mighty handy.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    I tried out a number of fixes that people said worked, with the result that I added umask=000 to my fstab entry. For some reason, the next time I booted up, FC2 said that it was checking for new hardware, and then said updating fstab, and then failed because fstab had been modified during runtime. Now Fedora leaves Fstab alone (although this generates an error in the boot log every time it happens:=) Although an ssh would be nice, I have only dial-up internet at home, and while I would be happy to give up phone service for a remote linux login, the rest of the family would not be happy Other than the failure to edit fstab in the boot log I saw nothing else modifying the file on bootup or otherwise.

Is there any way to allow ordinary users to mount in FC2?? All I've found so far is that ordinary users can read/write/delete files on a drive mounted by root. (they couldn't do this in RH9). Should I try sudo? I had no success with it in RH9.

Thanks for the help. I'll be more dilligent about searching the archives first next time.
    N3WO

Re: Adding Permenant FSTAB Entry

Quote Originally Posted by n3wo
    Hi all.
    I've just upgraded to FC2 (from RH9), mostly for the purpose of obtaining a pre-configured 2.6.x kernel. I have a 128Mb USB flash drive, which I used to use in rh 9 by editing /etc/fstab to include this line
    Code:
    /dev/sda1     /mnt/usb     vfat     noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
    I created the /mnt/usb directory as root in FC2 ([code]
    Include the option : user or users
    change the owner group of the usb dir in /mnt to the group: users
    Assuming you have added your users to this default group.
    just check in the /home dir to see what groups you user(s) belong too.

Type: man fstab for more info
    to change a owner group use: chgrp <groupname> <target>
    To change the owner user: chown <username> <target>
    For help on chgrp or chown type: man chgrp or man chown

Good luck,

I'm still busy gettin my USB stick to work.... Somehow it has 6 partitions on it... guess the whole partition table is @#$@# up.

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Error generated from kudzu?
    Try disabling kudzu so it wont run on bootup, then just remember to manually run it when you install/remove hardware. I know the automatic kudzu screwed me up!

Linux Newbie
    I removed the kudzu line from the fstab entry, and added "users" to the line. The drive works perfectly
    N3WO

did it only work once both were gone, or did you only try it with both gone?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Originally I did it with both. After reading your post, I tried it with kudzu removed and owners added in, and root was the only one able to mount. I don't think kudzu was generating errors; the hardware updater "failed" when it noticed that the user had modified fstab, and therefore left it alone. This is what I wanted!
    N3WO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast