Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ubuntu has not crashed on me since I've used it. I haven't really had any problems with it, aside from my ignorance of Linux. My Vista partition has been giving ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Windows causing problems for my Linux partition?

Ubuntu has not crashed on me since I've used it. I haven't really had any problems with it, aside from my ignorance of Linux. My Vista partition has been giving me many problems however. Vista was updating itself(not giving me much of a choice in the matter) and generally being an immense resource hog. Everything was running super slow and crashing and freezing. After it finished an update it automatically shutdown and restarted the computer(which took forever by the way). But when it shutdown it automatically closed firefox(which really sucked because I was typing a long email). Vista restarted and I restarted firefox and firefox asks me to restore my session, as expected(although my email was of course lost, also as expected). Then later, when I boot up Ubuntu and start firefox, firefox informs me that my session unexpectedly ended. That's news to me. It unexpectedly ended on my Vista partition, but I have no recollection of it doing so on my Linux partition. As a matter of fact, I do not think it ever has. It is possible. Ubuntu has not yet crashed, but firefox may have crashed on Ubuntu(although I do not think it has, and I very highly doubt it did so last time I used it. I probably would have remembered). So is there some type of information transfer happening between the two firefox installations on Vista and Ubuntu? How can one be affecting the other? I have never opened up firefox in Wine(I don't even know how). And I did not mount the windows partition this boot.

So is there some type of information transfer happening between the two firefox installations on Vista and Ubuntu? How can one be affecting the other?
    Ubuntu's Firefox has nothing to do with Vista's Firefox. Both are on different partitions and do not share any file. If firefox crashes again in Ubuntu, execute firefox command in terminal and post error message here, if any.
    And I did not mount the windows partition this boot.
    Open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    df -h
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Thank you DC. But what will those commands do?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    fdisk -l lists all partitions and df -h lists all mounted partitions.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First